Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday baking - palm shortening? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Holiday baking - palm shortening?

Primal Fuel
    Good morning,
    I'm going to do a little baking today, since I teach and we have a SNOW day (woot!). I'm going to attempt these amazing looking gingerbread cookies here. They call for palm shortening but say butter can be used as a sub.

My question is - is palm shortening primal? If so, I'll get it and use it to keep true to the recipe. If not, has anyone subbed butter for palm shortening? Does it turn out the same? I'm afraid I'll ruin them and make them all sticky or something.

Thanks and feel free to share any other primal holiday goodies you might be baking!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    As long as it's non-hydrogenated (like Tropical Traditions), yes, it's primal. It's a very neutral flavor; I'm sure the flavor is quite different if you used butter.

Thanks! I'm going to see if my health food store carries it.

Wow. Palm shortening is hard to find! None at either of my health food stores or the upscale grocery store. Blanched almond flour was $12 for a tiny bag, so I ended up ordering both from Amazon -- thing is, I had to get a gallon of Tropical Traditions palm shortening!! Guess I'm going to do some baking!

I'll share some with my mom, but I'm hoping it has a long shelf life.

What else do y'all use palm shortening for?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Coconuts grow on palm tees, wouldnt coconut oil work?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Coconuts grow on palm tees, wouldnt coconut oil work?
    they have different melting temps, which would affect the finished product (lower melting point=cookies that run in the baking sheet).

how much do you want to bet that the recipe called for lard originally and someone before the OP changed it to palm to be "healthier"? personally, i'd use lard.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    ...how much do you want to bet that the recipe called for lard originally and someone before the OP changed it to palm to be "healthier"? personally, i'd use lard.
    I'm sure you're right. We can't find lard locally either. I'm looking FWD to making it, tho, when i pick up my 50# of pork fat. woot.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    If you're having a hard time finding palm oil maybe you're not looking in the right place. I get mine in the health food section of my local common grocery store Fred Meyers. The brand is Spectrum which is a very widely stocked brand (at least for a lot of their products). The palm oil comes in a plastic container slightly larger but similar in shape to a tub of margarine.

The labeling is pretty terrible as far as properly alerting customers to what it is. The label is simply "Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening: Non-hydrogenated". Had I not been curious as to both what a vegetable shortening was doing in the health foods section as well as how they were making shortening without hydrogenation I would never have checked the ingredients label to discover "Mechanically pressed organic palm oil" as the sole ingredient. Better yet, seeing as how it's from colombian palm you can eat it safely knowing that the ancient colombian orangutans were killed off many years before the palm trade moved in.

It works amazingly well in cooking/baking/mixing with homemade nutbutters to prevent separation

Thanks, Alex, but none of the stores I went to had it. The upscale grocer had Bob's Blanched Almond Flour, but I know that's that not the best blanched almond flour out there for baked goods (according to Elana's Pantry, anyway), and at $12 bucks, I knew I could do better online.

When I asked in my health food store I was emphatically told, "We don't sell ANY SHORTENING." She acted like I was asking for Crisco!! I told her if she did carry it, I would buy it, so maybe she'll do a little research.

Thanks, and I hope to get my online purchase soon, so I can start baking!
    Last edited by Angieh; 12-17-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: correction to my almond flour comment

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm doing some christmas baking today!!!

Ameretti, a traditional italian cookie made with ground almonds, egg whites and sugar! Yay! They are so good!

I also have a wicked almond flour chocolate snow crackle cookie.

I'm so excited for christmas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast