Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut milk v cream(dairy) page

cemdev is offline Senior Member

coconut milk v cream(dairy)

I'm trying to find a clear and concise article or study or something that explains the benefits of coconut milk over using regular old dairy cream.

I really can't find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Why is coconut milk better? Or is it?

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    nothing?

this concerns me as it seems to be a fairly important concept of primal/paleo yet I can't find any information to back it up. When I look at the nutritional content on the can and on the carton of cream - they're really pretty similar, and in fact, the coconut milk has more carbs.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I never got that it was a "fairly important concept of primal/paleo"--more a matter of convenience, really.
    The benefits I know of:
    1. Non-dairy replacement for those who need/choose to avoid dairy.
    2. Coconut oil (and there is some in coconut milk) is an anti-fungal and can help heal gut issues.
    3. Doesn't need refrigeration (at least in the unopened can!)

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    My guess is that dairy can cause inflammation and coconut doesn't? The Whole30 people may not be cool with dairy but Robb Wolf is ok with high fat dairy and so is Mark Sission. I prefer heavy cream in my coffee vs the coconut milk mixture I make and boy do I miss it. Coconut milk is pretty damn good for hot cocoa though.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    I think that the two primary reasons have to do with the inflammation/immune response to dairy products. Primarily the lactose and the protein casein, I don't know of anything in coconut milk that would be described as inflammatory or an allergen for most folks. Another reason has to do with fat loss goals.

Lactose is a common allergen/irritant that many folks have heard of and some folks (I think Wolf is included) tend to suggest causes some low level inflammation in people even if they are not full on lactose intolerant. (an enzyme called lactase is required to digest lactose properly)

Casein is basically most of the protein content of dairy products and I've heard that its pretty similar to gluten... I think some folks are allergic to casein also, but the general argument to avoid it would be the similar as with lactose.

Even if you don't have problems with either of them, I've seen a lot of recommendations to avoid dairy if your primary goal is to lose weight... regardless of the inflammation factors - I don't know exactly why this is but I'd guess that the casein protein is growth very promoting. Hence hearing of weightlifters drinking a crap ton of milk during gaining phases (never heard of any of them downing cans of coconut milk!)

That said... heavy cream has less of the 'bad stuff' than standard cream and most other dairy products simply because its so high in fat. I believe that is why the recommendation is to use HWC if you are gonna use dairy at all. I personally like HWC in my coffee more than coconut milk because its homogenized and mixes better with the coffee, no 'oil slick' on the top. The taste and mouthfeel are better, IMO. Although HWC seems to give me a buildup of mucos after a cup or two. Maybe TMI, haha.

Anecdotally, Robb Wolf also talked about something in HWC that has a tendency to bind to the caffeine molecules and get em across the blood/brain barrier more efficiently, hence a bigger 'kick' than without it. Sorta like the deal with carbonation and tequila in the NorcCal Margarita for those who know of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-...sein-free_diet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    My guess is that dairy can cause inflammation and coconut doesn't? The Whole30 people may not be cool with dairy but Robb Wolf is ok with high fat dairy and so is Mark Sission. I prefer heavy cream in my coffee vs the coconut milk mixture I make and boy do I miss it. Coconut milk is pretty damn good for hot cocoa though.
    Just curious, what's your coconut cream hot chocolate recipe? I could use some of that right now.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    If I drink more than a cup of coconut milk I feel sick so I take about a cup of water and boil it with 2tsp or more of unsweetened dark cocoa - http://www.rapunzel.com/products/rap...ing_kokoa.html , then add 2/3 cup coconut milk and a tsp of maple syrup.

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    If I drink more than a cup of coconut milk I feel sick so I take about a cup of water and boil it with 2tsp or more of unsweetened dark cocoa - http://www.rapunzel.com/products/rap...ing_kokoa.html , then add 2/3 cup coconut milk and a tsp of maple syrup.
    That sounds like a fantastic treat. Thank you.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Here's the Weston A. Price Foundation on the benefits of coconut. Get it. Eat it. Drink it. Mmmm... Goodness!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Look up "medium chain fatty acids".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast