Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of an issue can lower heart rate be? page

kcult is offline Senior Member

How much of an issue can lower heart rate be?

Shop Now
    I checked my BP today on this gizmo at work. I had to walk about 100 yds. to get to it. I sat down and pressed the button. My BP was 110/73 with a pulse rate of 68. I reset it and pressed it again. 111/72 and PR of 62. I told my buddy about it. When I mentioned the last PR, he did a double take. I asked him if that was an issue. He said I would have to ask my doctor, but he thought it wouldn't be unless I get light headed when I stand up.

Well, coincidentally, I do get light headed, but only after sitting or squatting for long periods of time. It takes longer for just sitting, but if I stay squatted for over a minute, say, like when looking in the cabinet trying to find something Primal, then when I stand, I get woozy. If I stay seated on the couch for an hour or so and stand up, after about the third step, I'm looking for something to possibly grab on to.

My BP and PR have not been this low as far as I can remember and I've been on BP meds for the last 4 or 5 years (to no real avail). Only after cutting out the no-no foods have I seen these results. I also do not exercise. I don't choose not to, I'm just lazy.

What's happening? I think I'll air my concerns with my doc tomorrow, but I'm curious if I have a problem for realz.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Uhhh... pretty sure a heart rate of 60-something is fine. Your blood pressure is fine too.

My active-resting heart rate is about 60 bpm, my 6 am-haven't-moved-in-hours heart rate is 50ish and I'm a small individual, so I think yours is just fine. Some people have resting heart rates in the 40 range.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    Mine is usually about 55 at rest. A low heart rate is not a bad thing at all.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    What they said

My resting pulse is 60 to 65'ish, which according to this chart is good to excellent for my advanced years. Whereas John's puts him in the excellent to athlete category!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Here is my paramedic answer.

Nothing wrong with your BP or heart rate in and of themselves. The 'normal' range for heart rate is 60-100 and a rate slower than that is not a problem unless it is CAUSING a problem typically. (although if it is significantly low it COULD be indicative of an issue.)

Your BP is again fine in and of itself but it sounds like it MIGHT be running a bit low for YOU. It might be time to adjust your medications. Also exercise will help with the 'stand up, get dizzy' situation because when you exercise it tones your cardiovascular system meaning your heart will change rate easier, your vessels will constrict (to keep the blood from all falling to your feet!) quicker, etc.

The other thing to do is make sure you are staying hydrated, especially if you notice a lower BP and a higher pulse rate. And when you stand up, tuck your chin in tight to your chest and then stand up slowly. This puts pressure on the veins that drain the blood from your head, slowing the draining slightly to give your heart and vessels a little longer to catch up.

Thanks.

I don't think I have a "low" heart rate as much as I know I have a "lower" HR than before and I didn't give it much thought until my pal planted the dizzy seed in my head.

Edit: I typed this ^ before I read Noc's response.

Thanks Noc!!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Those numbers look really good, but maybe you have something like orthostatic hypotension. Try taking your blood pressure sitting and then stand and take it and see if it dips significantly.

I was on another low carb regimen a few years back that was also very low salt in the first phase. I started to find that my blood pressure would dip very low when I would stand up or do yoga or even when I would get a little stressed or excited. My heart would start beating furiously during these episodes and my bp reading would be lower than normal. I've never had this formally diagnosed but I think that my old crappy diet was masking orthostatic hypotension. It would be interesting to check your blood pressure right after you stand. I checked mine one time when I was particularly faint after doing yoga poses and rising from sitting to standing. My bp machine read "E" which meant error. It was so low it was not producing a reading. I probably should have this medically diagnosed but I have a natural distrust of the medical profession, so I eat a fair amount of sea salt and try to get enough minerals and I feel pretty good when I do that.

If anyone knows anything about this I would be interested to hear it. On the forum for the other diet, I posted about this just sure others had experienced the same thing and they had no idea what i was talking about. No one else had experienced it.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Orthostatic variations are normal to a certain extent. Typically it isn't considered true orthostatic hypotension unless it persists. It takes a moment for the body to equilibrate after you stand up. If you stand, wait for ~ a minute and then measure it and it is still low, THEN you have more of an issue. If you stand, get slightly dizzy and then it gets better (and you could check numbers too if thats your thing) then that is just your body compensating. That being said if your heart rate has to jump up more than 10-15 points and especially if it stays there that indicates some dehydration or a lack of vasoconstriction occurring which could have a myriad of causes (including BP meds!)

Since the OP IS on a BP med I would recommend chatting with a doc because they may well need to adjust the dose or get off the med entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    That being said if your heart rate has to jump up more than 10-15 points and especially if it stays there that indicates some dehydration or a lack of vasoconstriction occurring which could have a myriad of causes (including BP meds!)
    This reminds me, I had an ECG and ultrasound done because I complained to my doc that my heart would pound for no reason (in my opinion). It would do it even if I was just shifting my weight in bed. Hmmm. I would be almost motionless and could stand up or simply switched the way my legs would cross and it would start pounding away.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Since the OP IS on a BP med I would recommend chatting with a doc because they may well need to adjust the dose or get off the med entirely.
    In November, my doc did recommend cutting my pills in half since my BP had improved (I did tell him about my eating style and the weight loss was evident), but I'm yet to do it. Now seems like a good time to start.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Bugger, I was hoping for advice on bradycardia.. my resting pulse rate is sometimes as low as 45bpm! I can't believe that I'm that fit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast