Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with grapeseed oil? page

Nik
    Nik is offline Member

What is wrong with grapeseed oil?

Shop Now
    I think I've heard that it is high in omega-6..........but I also saw it on a list of anti-angiogenic foods (cancer fighting foods)......so i'm wondering what the general thought is here? Thanks.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Grape Seed
    Skip this stuff. It does have a buttery taste, and it gets a lot of hype as a worthy replacement for olive oil, but it’s got high oxidation potential, especially if you follow the recommended instructions and use it for deep frying or high heat sauteeing. It’s rather pricey, too, so there’s no good reason to use it.

16% MUFA
    70% PUFA
    9% SFA
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Thanks for the info.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I think I've heard that it is high in omega-6..........but I also saw it on a list of anti-angiogenic foods (cancer fighting foods)......so i'm wondering what the general thought is here? Thanks.
    Nik,
    Grapeseed oil is FANTASTIC for external use on the body. I apply it to my feet every morning. It has eliminated my flaky, dry, scaling skin. It has eliminated my toenail problems. Mrs Grizz loves it on her body after a shower, protects her from dry skin.
    It kills ( smothers to death ) skin parasites such as Scabies above and below the skin.

I call it a MIRACLE product. But we don't use it for cooking or salads. For cooking, we use bacon grease or coconut oil. For salads, we use olive oil.

Grizz

hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Nik,
    Grapeseed oil is FANTASTIC for external use on the body. I apply it to my feet every morning. It has eliminated my flaky, dry, scaling skin. It has eliminated my toenail problems. Mrs Grizz loves it on her body after a shower, protects her from dry skin.
    It kills ( smothers to death ) skin parasites such as Scabies above and below the skin.

I call it a MIRACLE product. But we don't use it for cooking or salads. For cooking, we use bacon grease or coconut oil. For salads, we use olive oil.

Grizz
    Interesting. Do you just rub it on and let it absorb or do you apply it and then wipe it off? You don't get all oily and gross after applying it?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzdaniel View Post
    Interesting. Do you just rub it on and let it absorb or do you apply it and then wipe it off? You don't get all oily and gross after applying it?
    It's pretty oily--I used to use it for massage when I was a practitioner. I prefer coconut oil for my skin--it smells good (to me!) and absorbs very quickly.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzdaniel View Post
    HartzDaniel,

Yes, I just rub it on my feet every morning and then put on my socks. It is absorbed into the skin leaving my feet soft & luxurious. My feet used to be:
    * flaky,
    * itchy,
    * cracked,
    * stinkin,
    * horrible toenails,
    * you name it.
    * FEET FROM HELL,

now my feet are adorable, smooth, and picture perfect.

Grapeseed Oil is THE BEST for external use.

Quote Originally Posted by Link
    The oil is perfect for damaged or stressed tissues, possessing regenerative and restructuring qualities which allow better control of skin moisturization. Because of it’s high amount of Linoleic Acid, it is frequently used in beauty products for its anti-inflammatory, acne reduction, and moisture retention properties. Need an eye cream? Look no more, dab a bit of Grape Seed Oil around and under the eyes for especially effective repair of the skin. Run out of shaving cream? The oil will leave your legs softer than you ever imagined. Much more here:
    http://www.facecandyblog.net/2007/07...-seed-oil.html
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Why is it OK to put something on your skin that you wouldn't eat?

This question struck me when I was teaching a childbirth class. One of the moms who was studying nutrition at Bastyr University said that rubbing olive oil in the skin is used to supplement the nutrition of patients in ICU who are tube fed. Apparently, the tube feedings can't contain as much fat as would be ideal, so they rub olive oil over the entire skin so it gets absorbed that way instead. (The topic came up because I was passing along the priceless tip to olive oil your newborn's butt so that the sticky meconium slides off...)

Until she told me this, it had never occurred to me that what is put on the skin has the potential to be used nutritionally by our bodies. It's made me re-think a lot of what I allow my skin to come into contact with.

I have absolutely no idea what % gets absorbed, whether different oils would make it through differently and would behave to your body exactly the same as if ingested.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

RednGreen is offline Member
    Liz, I'm so glad you mentioned that. I have always heard you should never put something on your skin that you're not willing to eat and have wondered about your body absorbing nutrients from coconut oil, etc. Does anyone know more about this?
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Wow....lots of good information here. I forgot about this post, until now, and came back to check it out.

Thanks Grizz --- My husband has your old feet.....I'm going to have him try this out tonight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast