Thread: How much protein should you consume per meal? page

jch4416 is offline Junior Member

How much protein should you consume per meal?

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I am new to the forum and have just started on the diet. Many years ago I read in bodybuilding magazines that one can only assimilate about 30 to 40 grams of protein from a single meal.

Does anyone know if this is a correct statement, or has it been discredited? Better yet, does
    anyone have a current recommendation on this?

Thanks,
    Jim

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Incorrect.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Martin Berkhan from leangains.com commented on that particular topic here. Protein cannot be stored really and while it's absorption rate does vary somewhat on the source most anything with protein can and will be digested completely. I do not believe that there is any real known maximum amount that can be digested in on setting that is supported by data derived from human beings.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    My advice if you're workout out is to get at least 1g of protein per pound of lean mass that you have on average daily and not to worry too much about getting it in small dosages.

jcnick34 is offline Junior Member
    Hi there!
    I am just starting with primal eating and I'm really confused about how much protein to eat. The book and on this forum it always says 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. So with my weight and BF % I should have about 95 grams of protein. This is less than 3 and a half ounces! How can that be enough protein for a day??

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcnick34 View Post
    So with my weight and BF % I should have about 95 grams of protein. This is less than 3 and a half ounces! How can that be enough protein for a day??
    This is the approximate number of grams of actual protein (not meat) that you should consume. A lot of the weight of fresh meat is water. For example, chicken breast has about 31g of protein per 100g serving. So if you are shooting for 95g of protein, that would be about 307g(~11 ounces) of meat. If you made the meat into jerky, it would be closer to being equal to pure protein in terms of weight.

@jcf4416: I recommend reading Daemonized's link. I follow Leangains and often eat upwards of 100g of protein in a single post-workout meal. I have been getting leaner and gaining a little bit of muscle.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    A good guesstimate for meat is 7g of protein per oz. Also if you are trying to gain mass by lifting heavy 1g per LBM is a minimum. Do not be afraid to go over this amount. Don't worry about how much per meal either just eat what is comfortable for you. 1 meal, 3 meals, 6 meals it does'nt really matter. Well unless you have a protein shake to shill then it's 46gpermealeverytwohoursoryourmuscleswillfalloff!!!
    Last edited by chima_p; 12-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.

jcnick34 is offline Junior Member

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info, had a brain freeze - should have known that!

Bane is offline Senior Member
    After breakfast and an early lunch I'm sitting at 175 grams of protein so far. I weigh about 163 pounds. Shit, I'm gonna get fat.

(btw, no, this is not a normal day for me)