Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My step by step approach doesn't work very well page

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

My step by step approach doesn't work very well

It's now a full month since I stopped trying to go "cold turkey" and customized my approach to primal transition. I ditched all flour and sugar, in hope there will be some beneficial effects. Weight gain stopped, I lost 2-4 lbs and that's all. That's disappointing. My sleep improved for 4-5 days, then returned to the original state (feel sleepy at 2 AM, in contrast to 10 PM). I am very picky eater, meat can rot in my refrigator because I'd rather not eat anything that take effort to cook it and eat with no real taste. So I ate veggies with butter, with lots of cream in my coffe (3/4 of my calories on some days), rarely tuna and quite often potatoes. I thought it would make some changes in my health and encourage me to do more, but I don't see too much change... Should this elimination diet had any health benefits or not? What can I change if I really dislike many "allowed" foods? I definitely won't get back to SAD, but I want more benefits than I experience now
    I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Getting 3/4 of your calories from a single food stuff (in your case, cream) is just a really bad idea. It will leave you malnourished, because that one source simply doesn't have the spectrum of nutrients you need (vitamans, minerals, etc)

You're getting almost no protein.

You going to have to either REALLY decide to go primal, or give up pretending that you are heading in that direction. Ditching grains and sugar is only the negative part of primal. You need to work on the positive part--rich meats and fish, eggs, diversity of natural foods. If you can't, I honestly think the SAD might be healthier for you!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

My description was somewhat incomplete, but that was general idea. I eat steak - sometimes, etc, but I don't think I could eat it every day or every other day. I have quite small budget. I read somewhere that after ditching sugar and grains, my sense of taste will slowly go back to normality. I want that badly
    Last edited by C2H5OH; 12-15-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You have to stop eating the potatoes. That's one of your main derailers.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

is there something quite tasty but 50% less bad than them? I could eat cooked carrots daily, but don't know if they are not similiar to potatoes

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes and carrots are both sugary/starchy. Not a good Primal choice. Try eating green veggies instead, and up your proteins and fats - a LOT.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

i consume 150-180 grams of fat daily, proteins average on 30 grams, carbs 50 w/o potatoes and 150-200 with them. Thanks a lot. But I am heading in the right direction or should really get back to SAD?

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    50% less bad?... that made me LOL. I would say ANY OTHER VEGETABLE. And, I don't know as potatoes are that bad for you but it depends. Are you trying to lose weight?, does eating potatoes trigger cravings? If no to both of those then there's no reason to eliminate them but any one food should not be the staple in your diet like Liz said. If youre too lazy to cook then buy a small crockpot (cheap) and throw some meat and veggies in at the start of your day with some spices then you'll have something ready for you. What about eggs? you can hardboil a bunch and eat them througout the week.

Griff- there's nothing wrong with eating starch as part of a primal diet but I don't know the OP's situation, maybe you do. If weight/blood sugars are an issue then carbs should be limited but it depends very much on the individual and how their body handles carbs.

I am trying to get from slightly overweight to 12-14% body fat, but health issues, especially mental fog and sleep problems are much much more of my concern.
    Potatoes don't trigger cravings, eating them is what enabled me to live this way more than 3 days - now it's 30 days. They satisify my cravings very well but I noticed that I eat them more with every day, so that is bad. With cold turkey approaches I didn't really have something tasty and quite healthy to "survive" bad days

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    30 grams of protein is way, way too low. I'm a 135 lb. woman and I eat 130ish grams of protein most days. You're going to need to find a way to up that protein by a lot, and that usually means meat, poultry, fish and eggs. Other than that you're looking at whey protein and that should be used as a supplement at best, not as a main source.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast