Thread: What is the difference between Paleo and primal page

mommy2three is offline Member

Question What is the difference between Paleo and primal

Shop Now
    I went and saw my ciro yesterday. He had told me a couple months back that he wanted me to do the paleo diet. I got the book and read through then googled it and find mostly primal stuff. Thinking it was the same I followed the primal as close as I could. When asked yesterday about my diet I told him I was doing primal. I thought he would be good with that but he said he really wants me to do paleo. So what is the deal? Is paloe that much different? and does anyone have any resources I could read through on paleo vs. primal? Thank you for your help in this matter.

Amanda
    Forgiveness will free you

Diabetic, high cholesterol, spine fusion and living with daily pain but has hope for the future

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    the biggest difference, with regard to diet, is that most who follow paleo totally eschew dairy, whereas we feel that if you can tolerate it, no harm no foul. some in the paleo camp feel that rice & white potatoes are pretty okay too, so long as you don't have weight to lose (mark recently talked about this). on the other hand, paleo generally refers only to diet, whereas primal encompasses most aspects of your life - stress, activity, sleep, etc.

hope that helps! if your doc wants you off dairy, that's probably why. it's also possible, however unlikely, that he's never heard of the primal blueprint. most who find one hear about the other.
    Last edited by aboutsaffron; 12-15-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    a quick google search for "difference paleo primal www.marksdailyapple.com"

What's the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

Difference between Paleo and Primal

Paleo vs Primal Blueprint

And from one MDA'ers (spanish language) blog, translated via google translate:
    Various Actors in the Paleosphere
    Last edited by cillakat; 12-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    While I have not completely removed dairy from my diet (cheese and butter) it's the nightshade ban that turns me off about paleo. Unless one has a specific allergy I can't picture life without peppers, tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, peppers, and the other nightshade vegetables (including peppers).

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    .. and as you're a diabetic I wouldn't eat potatoes or rice.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

mommy2three is offline Member
    Thank you everyone! Think i will be sticking with Primal. Dr. did say he knows primal but still wants me on Paleo.. I think it is close enough and I see great results with primal so why change now?
    Forgiveness will free you

Diabetic, high cholesterol, spine fusion and living with daily pain but has hope for the future

lennonmichael is offline Junior Member
    Although I have not completely removed from the dairy in my diet, belladonna ban, which I turned off about Paleo. Unless you have a specific allergy, I can not image life without tomatoes, peppers, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, peppers and other vegetables nightshade.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have any allergies or auto-immune issues I would say have some dairy. But be aware that dairy has a heavy effect on insulin if your trying to lose weight.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy2three View Post
    I went and saw my ciro yesterday. He had told me a couple months back that he wanted me to do the paleo diet. I got the book and read through then googled it and find mostly primal stuff. Thinking it was the same I followed the primal as close as I could. When asked yesterday about my diet I told him I was doing primal. I thought he would be good with that but he said he really wants me to do paleo. So what is the deal? Is paloe that much different? and does anyone have any resources I could read through on paleo vs. primal? Thank you for your help in this matter.

Amanda
    Paleo + Primal = Both say no to cultivated grains of any kind.

Paleo = Also says no to Dairy (insulin spike and growth factor very high) and no legumes (beans), with the exception for periodic heavy cream in your coffee and grass-fed / pastured organic butter.

Paleo would be considered more strict of the two. If you have an autoimmune issue like Lupus, rhumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, thyroid issues etc... according to Robb Wolf there is evidence that supports removal of the nightshades and eggs too.

I was primal for about 3 months and hit a heavy plateu in my fat loss. When I went paleo, fat started rolling off again. I credit it to the removal of dairy from my diet and I got SUPER strict about no gluten. Cheat days still happen, but NEVER with gluten involved.

I would highly reccomend you go to robbwolf.com and listen to his 50+ podcasts. You can subscribe to them on itunes too. Just look up "the paleo solution" on the podcast search field. Super informative podcast and blog all around. I have really become a much better informed consumer following my listingin to the podcasts.

Cheers,

Dave