Thread: Hypothyroidism, HGBA1C, and Cholesterol Results page

JeffC is offline Senior Member

Hypothyroidism, HGBA1C, and Cholesterol Results

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A few weeks ago I had my annual physical exam. I'm a 41 year old male and I've been eating primally for about 6 months and trying to lose some weight. Since my last physical I lost about 15 lbs and am probably in the low 20% of body fat, about 175 in weight. I also get a ton of exercise, including things like biking for an hour in 20F weather and getting some great results with kettlebells. So generally I am very fit and feel good.

My cholesterol mostly improved from last year. This year my LDL was at 101 which was an increase from the mid 70s but I don't know about the particle size. My HDL increased from the mid 70s to mid 90s. My Tris decreased from 86 to 50. My blood pressure was the same at 120/70 and my resulting pulse is frequently in the low 50s bpm. So all in all pretty good.

However, the bad part was that my HGBA1C count was at 6.0 which is pre diabetes stage. Also my Doctor said that over the past three years my thyroid results have progressed from borderline low to worse although he was not specific about it.

Now he wants me to come back in for another round of blood tests. Although we only talked briefly, he thinks there may be some connection between the thyroid results and the HGBA1C results and cautioned against being diabetic and how it is so bad blah, blah, blah.

I would not be surprised if hypothyroidism runs in my family and the changes could be so gradual and slow that you don't realize you could feel much better if you took certain medications. Still I feel frustrated because I know so little about this and hate the thought of being dependent on medication.

Anybody else have a similar situation?

I have a very low thyroid and have been on medication for years. It does run in my family - actually all of us: my parents and siblings are on medication. I am not aware of anything to avoid the medication. I was slow about getting my prescription filled and within a couple of weeks, I noticed a huge drop in my energy level. I'm back on my meds now and it will take a few days to feel normal again.

If you find or hear of a way to avoid the thyroid medication, please let me know.

I recently had my A1C checked too and my came back 6.3. My doctor was happy with that because anything under 7 is good. That's what they told me anyway.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are you sufficient in Vitamin D?

Also, do you live in the "goiter belt"? You may need supplemental iodine.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Are you sufficient in Vitamin D?

Also, do you live in the "goiter belt"? You may need supplemental iodine.
    I don't know if I am sufficient or not in Vitamin D although a few weeks ago I started supplementing with 2000 IUs since it is inexpensive and has little downside at that level. I live outside the Goiter Belt and have never lived in an area that would be part of the Goiter Belt--interesting concept though, never knew such a thing existed.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I don't know if I am sufficient or not in Vitamin D although a few weeks ago I started supplementing with 2000 IUs since it is inexpensive and has little downside at that level. I live outside the Goiter Belt and have never lived in an area that would be part of the Goiter Belt--interesting concept though, never knew such a thing existed.
    You can order a test through your doc or a test kit here ($70 including shipping.)
    2,000 IUs is likely not enough, if you live in Virginia.
    Recommended dose for most people is 5,000 - 10,000 IUs to start and then test in 3 months and adjust your dosage as needed.

Oh, and here is Griff's fabulous Vitamin D info!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.