Thread: Quick n Easy Protein page

Iskander is offline Member

Quick n Easy Protein

Shop Now
    After using fitday for the last three days, I've realized that I don't really eat too much protein. Plenty of fat, relatively decent carbs, but low levels of protein.

I'm not so good with cooking big meals yet, or even eating them. I'm trying to find protein sources that are easy to cook, don't require eating a steak, and are cost effective. Essentially, a good protein source for a college age guy on a budget.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Eggs and canned tuna/sardines. Protein powders are great for workout days. Also, I've yet to try this, but it does sound cost effective -- buy chicken in bulk, cook it all on one day, and eat it throughout the week.

swathorne is offline Junior Member
    Eggs , canned tuna, ground beef. Easy to cook and relatively light on the wallet.

Cheap white fish like Tilapia is straight protein and cooks quickly....if you don't mind farmed fish products.

Stay away from protein powders with artificial sweeteners.

Cottage cheese if you haven't eliminated dairy and allow yourself a moderate carb range.
    Last edited by swathorne; 12-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Liver, kidneys, brains etc are all very cheap and contain protein and many other nutrients
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Liver, kidneys, brains etc are all very cheap and contain protein and many other nutrients
    O_O I dunno if I'm ready for organ meats yet. Lol

My Primal Journal

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    you'll have to search locally to see what the best prices are. at one time, grassfed ground beef was cheaper than any other natural meat i could find. now i've located a source of ground turkey which is $2/lb and the beef has gone up considerably. anyway, my go-to-meat is usually chicken breast. i can add whatever fat i want to it and it cooks easily in the toaster oven. i use my toaster oven quite a lot for foods like that.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Do you live with other roomates? If you have room then consider buying a 1/4 cow with your other roomies. My family just purchased there second 1/4 cow for around $3.50 per lb. You get ALL of the cuts. Ground beef is super easy. I cook it with a little coconut oil. Cook enough for a few days.

Eggs are always super cheap. If you have a Costco around then shop there often. I may be getting a membership myself soon.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Eggs and canned tuna/sardines. Protein powders are great for workout days. Also, I've yet to try this, but it does sound cost effective -- buy chicken in bulk, cook it all on one day, and eat it throughout the week.
    My suggestions exactly.

Cooking up large batches of chicken breasts / thighs or a whole chicken all at once is a great way to always have protein on hand if you're not in the mood for canned. Topping your dishes with a few fried eggs is another good way to round out your protein intake. Warm but runny yolks make a nice kind of "sauce".
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 12-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

My girl and I are off to grab some chicken now, since that's something we both enjoy.

My Primal Journal