Thread: The lower your carb intake, the lower your micronutrient needs? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

The lower your carb intake, the lower your micronutrient needs?

Shop Now
    I'm about halfway through listening to all of the Robb Wolf podcasts, and on one, he touched on this interesting subject. That the pretty high RDA of various vitamins and minerals that CW recommends are not really necessary if you are eating pretty low carb. I bring this up, because I've recently started an elimination experiment with all goitrogenic vegetables due to my hypothyroidism. With crucifers and most leafy greens out of the picture (and obviously starchy vegetables too), I've been just relying on lettuces, mushrooms, onions, shallots, and garlic as my staple vegetables. If I am getting around 25-50 grams of carbs daily, which vitamins and minerals would I need less of? Can anyone point me to some good references on this topic?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You know, don't you, that you can cook goitrogenic vegetables and then they're OK for the thyroid? Why abstain from good, green veggies like broccoli and spinach if you don't have to?

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I second! I eat cooked broccoli all the time but don't eat it raw. Cooking it breaks down the protein that attacks the thyroid.

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member
    I can't answer your question, NoMoreGrains, but I remember hearing that on Rob's podcast also. For me, it was the final nail in the coffin with regards to trying to get enough of any particular nutrient. I've come to the conclusion that no matter how hard you try to track it and pinpoint the numbers, it's all just a guess. And the best thing we can do is eat a variety of high quality, fresh, primal foods...of course excluding the ones that are problematic for us as individuals.

but I bet Robb would try to answer the question for you. There's a place to submit questions on his site.
    www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
    www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreGrains View Post
    I'm about halfway through listening to all of the Robb Wolf podcasts, and on one, he touched on this interesting subject. That the pretty high RDA of various vitamins and minerals that CW recommends are not really necessary if you are eating pretty low carb. I bring this up, because I've recently started an elimination experiment with all goitrogenic vegetables due to my hypothyroidism. With crucifers and most leafy greens out of the picture (and obviously starchy vegetables too), I've been just relying on lettuces, mushrooms, onions, shallots, and garlic as my staple vegetables. If I am getting around 25-50 grams of carbs daily, which vitamins and minerals would I need less of? Can anyone point me to some good references on this topic?
    Can you point me to that particular podcast?

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display...level3_id=5140

This is the USDA's National Agricultural Library - this part is where you can reference the DRI tables for various nutrients. I've been skeptical of the values ever since I checked on potassium. Among the best sources are supposedly oranges and bananas (ask any soccer player). You can search and get the NAL's data on most foods (and too many "foods") at their nutritional database (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/).

The DRI for potassium is about 4.7 g/day for females. One large banana has 487 mg; one large orange has 255 (Florida orange). An 8 oz (raw weight) filet has 687 mg.

From an evolutionary standpoint - evolving on the savanna, where we'd be sweating and needing more electrolytes - do these numbers make sense? We'd need 7 filets or 9 bananas or 23 oranges per female per day?

I don't buy it. I think the DRIs were developed measuring intake and uptake in people eating the SAD (even the 1950s SAD had a lot of wheat in it; I was there). Since I no longer eat that, and my intestines are healing from the damage I inflicted over these many years, I'm assuming I need less of these ... a lot less.

I base my needs on performance - and when I need something, I crave the food source (after refereeing 3 soccer games, I craved milk more then OJ). Listen to your body.

Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. But my MD has trouble remembering how old I really am - and she said last week I look ... something ... just really healthy. She doesn't see many people like that.