Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I'm Going to Have to Give up Fruit page

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member

Looks like I'm Going to Have to Give up Fruit

Shop Now
    When I first went primal in July, I didn't find the transition too difficult, especially since I was able to eat fruit to help ease myself off of sugar. I must have been eating too much fruit though, since even though I lost more weight than I'd intended to lose, I ended up with a pretty severe case of gout.

Paul Jaminet, author of The Perfect Health Diet, has suggested to me that fructose might be the culprit. He believes fructose intake can cause increased uric acid levels in those prone to it, and is thus the major cause of gout.

So it looks like I'll have to cut out my fruit along with my sugar, or else go on a gout drug, Uloric, which I'd like to avoid if possible. I'll start this after Christmas, probably, and after a few weeks, have my blood tested for uric acid. If the level is too high, I'll feel like I have to go on the med, since high levels of uric acid are dangerous and can cause kidney failure I think.

Wish me luck!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    How much fruit are you eating? If you are eating a lot, the it's hard to say that you've truely kicked the sugar habit. Try lowering your fruit consumption slowly. Hopefully it will help the gout.

Good Luck!

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    My father finds that a small amount of cherry juice actually wards off gout. He thinks.

Sometimes he does everything right and BAM!! Other times he does everything wrong and nothing.

Genetics. Bleh.

Clint W is offline Junior Member
    Funny you should mention this. I've never been diagnosed with gout, but every time I start eating grass-fed beef I get a really sore big toe.
    Not each time I eat it, but in weeks when I eat it several times. My fruit intake is very, very low so I doubt it's fructose for me.
    How much grass-fed are you eating? I'm going to have to do some research on this...

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvalab View Post
    My father finds that a small amount of cherry juice actually wards off gout. He thinks.

Sometimes he does everything right and BAM!! Other times he does everything wrong and nothing.

Genetics. Bleh.
    My hubby is diabetic, and diabetics are often prone to gout. That medication is bad news for your kidneys. He has found Goutrin a black cherry sup you can find in any HFS to work as effectively if he catches it right. He takes one a day, and when he feels gout coming on the DAY he feels it he downs 3 pills 3 times, and usually again the next day and is able to stop it before it gets bad!

He's not a big fruit guy... but I've noticed when he drinks beer (not often anymore since going primal) hello gout!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Ouch...

If it's specifically fructose that's the problem, you could aim for fruit lower in that. Here's a table:
    http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...its_table.html

nutritionut is offline Member
    I feel your pain: I have Candida, and I have had to avoid fruit for the past year. You get used to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    How much fruit are you eating? If you are eating a lot, the it's hard to say that you've truely kicked the sugar habit. Try lowering your fruit consumption slowly. Hopefully it will help the gout.

Good Luck!
    I was going through about one bag of red grapes a week, which might be quite a lot of fruit. Still, it was less sugar I think than the Cokes and cookies I ate before. Even so, I lost a lot of weight and I wasn't heavy to start with. I've cut way back on all that stuff now and hope for the best. I have to be careful to not lose even more weight all of a sudden, since sudden weight loss is also associated with gout.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint W View Post
    Funny you should mention this. I've never been diagnosed with gout, but every time I start eating grass-fed beef I get a really sore big toe.
    Not each time I eat it, but in weeks when I eat it several times. My fruit intake is very, very low so I doubt it's fructose for me.
    How much grass-fed are you eating? I'm going to have to do some research on this...
    Not very much grass fed, since I can't convince wife that it's good. However, we did just buy a new BBQ grill and are probably eating more meat than usual in our excitement. I'm still doing research, too.

gotaluvalab, Hillary and nutrinut, thanks for the info and thoughts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast