Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression Question page

bwhit is offline Senior Member

Depression Question

Hello.
    So, I've been on the primal diet for a few weeks now and it's feeling good. But my question is about my wife as a few of you seem to have had success dealing with similar issues.

She has been diagnosed with manic depression and is in the middle of a nasty bout. She gets very anxious, unreasonable, indecisive and can't sleep. She eats fish, but does not eat any other meat. I encourage her to eat more fish, but there is a concern about pcbs, mercury, etc. She eats eggs but is afraid to eat too many because of cholesterol. And even though I've told her that's not a problem and she seems to agree with the logic, she can't totally overcome 15 years of avoiding them. She used to eat a lot of soy until I talked her down after reading the Whole Soy Story by Kayla T Daniel. She still eats tempeh and relies on beans for a lot of her protein. Although she is off gluten, she eats rice and brown rice pasta.

Her sister and her grandmother both have problems with depression so she is convinced that it is hereditary and that's that. She'll always have to live with it. She insists that it is triggered by big changes in her life, and in her defense, it did seem to start when she started a new high pressure job. But she also says it starts with the change in the season so I have been pushing her to take vitamin D, which she just started. I have had difficulty gently trying to convince her not to rule diet as a possible way to help. She doesn't really want to hear it and thinks it would be dangerous. I really want to get her off the crap they are giving her (Lorazepam, sleep aids, etc).

So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what might work to convince her to take a closer look at this way of life. Any success stories in convincing loved ones would be great. Any blogs of success with a similar problem would also be great. I'm hoping to have success myself and that makes her more interested. So if I can combine that with some other success stories, she'll have to listen.

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear back.
    Bwhit

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I had suicidal depression. Going primal (sugar and wheat seemed to be the two major culprits) kicked that. It comes back if I fall off for too long. I HIGHLY recommend weaning her off the pills, as opposed to cold turkey, if you go that route. Vitamin D helped as well. If need be, I can tell the full story, if you think it'd help her. One caveat to me, as opposed to her: Mine was straight depression, no mania. Bipolar disorder is a different animal. I will still say that Primal and such should help her. Maybe not enough to get her completely off the pills (depending on how bad it is for her), but maybe enough to lessen her dosage.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    My husband gets extreme mood swings from peanuts.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have a fantastic book called Depression-Free Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson. Great book. I don't generally suffer from depression but I have my moments, and I found some great tips in there for helping me get out of a funk when I fall into it. Maybe she'd be willing to give it a read?

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Just curious about who diagnosed her with "manic depression" since that term isn't used clinically anymore. The correct term is bipolar disorder. Not to argue semantics, but I was just wondering if she has an accurate diagnosis. If that term is being used by a medical provider they may not be up to date.

swathorne is offline Junior Member
    After dropping my pills cold turkey and almost immediately starting a ketogenic (very carb restricted) diet....my depression disappeared quickly. I was NOT however bi-polar so I cannot speak to that precisely.

I have been back to a conventional junk diet for the better part of 2 years and I am now experiencing symptoms of depression again. Personally I believe depression is just a side effect of an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm now 25 lbs heavier and not nearly as athletic as 2 years ago....no surprise to me that I am depressed.

I would wager that a strict primal diet with moderate exercise would work wonders. While I quit pills cold turkey...I wouldn't impose that idea on anyone else...especially someone who has been taking them habitually for quite some time and may have built up a psychological dependence on them. I am 24. I assume she is older and therefore more set in her ways (diet and manic depressive behavior).
    Last edited by swathorne; 12-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    sadly, i haven't found that switching to primal helped with my SAD or my anxiety, so it's possible that it won't for her, either. definitely try it, but keep in mind that primal isn't a magic cure-all. it helped a lot of things for me, but my mental/emotional issues are still the same.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    This site deals with issues of depression and diet. I've only been reading there a short time so I don't know if any of the information would help with your spouse's clinical diagnosis but it may offer something in a way of an approach. Looking at some of the older posts you'll find her primer on dopamine/serotonin and other neurotransmitters.

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

I remember Nora's book having some information on depression/mental heath issues as well. I sort of stopped reading at that point but there may be some help there, too.

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/

Good luck with your quest.

Tom
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    Just curious about who diagnosed her with "manic depression" since that term isn't used clinically anymore. The correct term is bipolar disorder. Not to argue semantics, but I was just wondering if she has an accurate diagnosis. If that term is being used by a medical provider they may not be up to date.
    She does call it bipolar, that was my error in translation. My bust.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I have a fantastic book called Depression-Free Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson. Great book. I don't generally suffer from depression but I have my moments, and I found some great tips in there for helping me get out of a funk when I fall into it. Maybe she'd be willing to give it a read?
    I recently ordered the Omega 3 Connection and I'll check this one out too. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast