Thread: Brooklyn NY page

bwhit is offline Senior Member

Brooklyn NY

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First post here, I'm a 39 year old male from Brooklyn NY. I've been stalking around this forum for a week or so and I am inspired. Thanks for sharing. I found MDA in a common way, P90X, Robb Wolff's book, etc. I've been on a pretty strict primal diet for just over 2 weeks now. It hasn't been too hard for me because I already had not been eating gluten, as 2 of my co-workers are celiac sufferers and my wife works with austistic children. I tried cutting it out and it made a big difference and I suddenly noticed how crappy I felt after 1 slice of pizza. How did I never notice that before? I also belong to a csa and a food coop so I eat lots of vegetables. But I always thought brown rice, beans, and oatmeal were very healthy, so that's new. I love meat and think I can give up the other stuff if I can have that.

I used to play rugby, a herniated back disc ended that, but I have pretty much exercized my whole life. Although it's been sporatic at times and invisible at others. At times I have been strong and muscular but I have never been able to get very lean. I have not been able to attain the elusive goal of a flat stomach. I would work out hard for a while, see progress, but eventually peter out and lose steam. Not enough variety in my workouts. Anyway, my primal progress is coming along nicely. I lost a few pounds and my midsection is definitely leaning up quickly.

I am trying to cut out dairy as well as it seems to make my snotty. I had a little goat cheese on my salad today and I felt a little foggy after. Not sure if the goat cheese is the reason. I haven't really started on the workout system yet as I am in the last third of P90x and will probably finish that first. But I did sign up for a free Crossfit class this Saturday. It's nice stocking the freezer with meat and being happy about it. I also have Tinea Versicolor, which is a common overproduction of the yeast colonies in your skin that results in occassional blotches. It comes out when it's hot and damp. I'm hoping this will help with that, even though it's not too terrible. Just comes back every six months or so.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by bwhit; 12-15-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Welcome from a fellow NY'er. Your workout history sounds like mine. For that reason alone, I think you'll become a Crossfit adict. I love it, but it is too expensive for me, so I do it out of my house.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. Do you just do the WOD from the website? I like the motivation of a group setting as I tend to take longer breaks when I work out on my own.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, and for scaling, I follow http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/. They scale certain WOD's and have good substitutions if you are lacking certain equipment. Group setting is very motivational, however, I find it easier to keep my ego in check by doing them alone and when motivated, I can blow a WOD out (huhuhu) in no time. Motivation is not my problem, it is time. Good luck.