Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The people you love to hate page

jdl409 Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm thoroughly convinced that eating primal is great for me. I look good - I feel good.

But there's this little part of me that gets super irritated/jealous of the two girls in my office who load up on Starbucks, Diet Coke, Gummy Bears and tofu burgers and yet manage to stay super slim. Is there a PB explanation for these types?

Anonymous Guest

Are they young? It's just insulin doing it's thing keeping the sugar down.

It's also possible that that's all they eat, as well. I've known women like that - it'd appear that they ate whatever they want, until looking closer, and that was *all* they were eating.

matt beaudreau Guest

I performed CPR on someone who stayed super slim on things like that as well. The outside isn't always indicative of the inside.

Shine is offline Member

I'm going to assume that the Starbucks and gummi bear eaters are pretty young since you refer to them as girls. While it doesn't make it any less irritating to watch at the time, in five or ten years their bodies will inevitably begin to reflect their poor diet choices. Your good nutrition and lifestyle choices, however, will also show through. (I'm not saying that they don't already, just reiterating that the effects are even more evident as you get older and don't show as many signs of aging.) All the make-up and anti-aging wonder creams in the world can't fix the effects of years of subsisting on Diet Coke and tofu.

But, yes, I agree it is incredibly frustrating sometimes to watch someone pollute their body and still look fabulous. I just try to keep in mind that it is temporary.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I think it's a two way hate cycle. Many people wonder how can I be in reasonable shape while eating so much meat and fat, and without working out that much. I know this also results in them hating me.

jdl409 you should walk around the office with nuts and bacon snacks.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

The people I love to hate are those who say they eat paleo, but still eat legumes/honey/stevia/agave/butter/ghee/cheese/tomato/chili/tubers/olive oil/salt/soy sauce/peas/sweet potato/mayonnaise/paprika/cayenne pepper/flaxseed/protein powder/tomato pasta sauce/capsicum/maple syrup/arrowroot/millet flour/goats cheese/raw milk/kefir/vinegar/probiotics/multivitamins or anything else they try to say is paleo, but Grok never ate. They are also the ones who complain the most about cravings/no weight loss/boring food/or whatever else.

I love the fact that they are trying, but am really annoyed that they will try to justify any old thing as paleo just because they want to eat it. If you want to do it, suck it up and do it properly.

Now before anyone takes that all personally - I did say paleo and not primal, as I am aware that Mark allows most of this stuff in moderation.

As a paleo eater - I won't eat any of it.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Honey? Salt? Why don't you think Paleolithic man ate either of these?

Honey's obvious. Sure, it woulda meant a few dozen bee stings, but it was definitely available. Bees aren't a recent development.

Salt too. Animals use natural salt licks; macaques season their food with salt water. I imagine Grok would have caught on, too, especially coastal Grok. That white flaky stuff would be tempting - especially if he witnessed animals sampling it.

Tubers and sweet potatoes, if found, would certainly be worth the trouble to cook and eat. 8000 year old wild varieties have been found in South America. It's not like they were staples, but that's the point of modern moderation.

I hope you're not taking fish oil and Vitamins D or K2, because Grok definitely wasn't. Just make sure to eat plenty of organs and get lots of sunlight.

I don't mean to come off as rude or anything; I just think you might be missing out on a few foods that were arguably on Grok's menu.

Tarlach is offline Member

Here's one now *rolleyes*

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I think hating is very primal. But whenever I hate, I try to remember a quote from the great Oscar Wilde:

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Shine is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Tarlach, who do you hate more: people who do absolutely nothing to improve their health and well-being, or people who make an effort yet fall short of some supreme paleo ideal?

The best piece of advice that I have taken away from Mark's blog is to not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Is it better to not even attempt to properly nourish one's body unless one sucks it up and does it "properly"?

Maybe for some people going paleo or primal is just some great feat for which one gains the right to wield the paleo or primal label. Personally, I couldn't care less about labels; I am more concerned with finding my own personal balance.

I'll take my tomatoes covered in olive oil and go sit in the corner.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast