Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The people you love to hate page 5

Daughter of Grok Guest

Shop Now

Oh yah, what about onions and garlic? Or herbs even??? There is so much out there on herbal remedies to things...what's your take on that?

elkonquistador Guest

SS- I agree to some degree. Although to take a stab at our beloved Tarlach's ego...how could I resist. After all, our egos, hating, jealousy, boasting, competition - all supremely primal, leading up to the crown jewel atop the majestic pinnacle of primal or even paleo of activities one could engage in... a fight!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

lol@elkonquistador. Ayn Rand said it: "The sacred word:EGO", and I totally agree.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

We all complain about how the average joe can't listen to us about diet, but it seems that quite a few primal eaters are just as fanatical about food, no matter what stage they are at.

My original reply was a lighthearted poke at those who are happy with 80% and still eat things they know are bad for them. If that works for you then good. I have a lot of friends having heart attacks in their early 30's. I'm quite happy to aim for 100% and watch my kids grow up.

DoG - Tomato and peppers are actually fruits (but they are nightshades). Radish and cabbage are vegetables. The radish is a root vegetable. Onion and garlic are bulb vegetables.

There's waay too much needed to describe all the differences in fruits and veg for this forum. Check out the Wikipedia page on vegetables and follow the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

GeriMorgan Guest

Tarlach - You keep talking about these people like the 20% "variance" (in which they eat things that don't happen to be indigenous to Africa or Europe) is going to - completely or mostly - ruin the remaining 80% of their efforts. It may not be your intent, but you come across as anything but lighthearted.

What really drive me crazy are the people who, when you talk to them about your diet, listen, nod, and understand what you're saying, then go home and keep doing the same things they've always been doing, set in the knowledge that they're either doing enough already or can't afford (financially) to do more. They want to make the change, but they're already determined that they can't. Dang stubborn relatives.

Primal_Pebbles Guest

Hmm, one that really ticks me off (for way more reasons that one) is my fiance's catty and rude grandma. She sends my fiance home with sugar cereals, HFCS and Soy laden bread by the ton, canola infused condiments and a ridiculous amount of nitrate heavy junk meat (aka lunch "meat")

She knows I can't eat soy or grains and does this just to be a pain in the a** and says, "I don't care that you can't eat them, he can!" I feed the bread to the birds, throw the meat out and put the cereal up on craigslist for free. She was yelling at me yesterday when we picked her up for a visit because we had pineapple for breakfast. She told me that I need to be feeding my fiance (even though he can clearly feed himself.) a bagel and cream cheese because that is healthy (along with all the sugar cereals she brings.)

I seriously can't stand the sight of her. I love how she tries to tell me what's healthy - esp. since she had to have heart surgery 3 months ago due to an unhealthy diet - you know, people who are the epitome of health usually have a zillion health issues right? (sarcasm)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345