Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The people you love to hate page 4

jpippenger Guest

Shop Now

I don't think animals "hate". They may fight for dominance or to protect a territory. But, this type of fighting is a need. Either to get the best cut of food, or to make sure they have the best hunting grounds. But, I doubt Tiger A sits around in hating on Tiger B. Thinking something like, that Tiger B is a real a$#.

Nick Guest

In reply to the original topic, I'd say I pity those folks in general. There's a reason most people gain a pound a year after age 25; eventually their body will become unable to deal with all that crap.

I do get annoyed when they try to insist that what they're doing is healthy. But mostly people like that aren't conscious enough of their habits to have made a decision about whether they're trying to be healthy or not; more probably they're just trying to stay thin, although they'll insist they're healthy if asked.

The people I get more annoyed at are the carb-shovelling marathoners who insist that 1) Eating a ton of carbs is the peak of nutrition, and necessary for any athleticism, be it weightlifting or aerobic, 2) Running a marathon, which killed its first participant and continues to kill several each year, is the epitome of modern health, no matter how flabby your skinny runner's body is, and 3) I am crazy, and eating a diet like this will kill me, and I'm touched in the head for even suggesting the lipid hypothesis isn't true, regardless of how many peer-reviewed publications I have backing me up.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I am not sure if I "hate" big carb eaters. I mean, I have never been really into carbs and sweet stuff. I do like a nice plate of pasta or good gelato from time to time, obviously, but it's not like I constantly *crave them*.

My feeling is kind of the one I get when I see people embracing celibacy before marriage. I get why they do it, I think they have no idea what they are missing, but I envy their absolute certainty and the inner peace it supposedly brings(ignorance is bliss kind of thing). Or maybe not, I'm not sure.

Anyway, live and let live.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Karin Guest

I'd prefer the people you love to hate over the folks who shop where i work and fill their carts with colored sugary "juices" and potato chips and kids' cereals and donuts and...

At least the people you mentioned are TRYING. And even if they aren't perfect (who is?) they ought to be better off than people who eat the way most Americans do. Or [don't] exercise the way most Americans do [not]. (Can't vouch for other countries but i suspect it's increasingly the same thing in Europe).

Daughter of Grok Guest

Lets not be haters here. A lot of these people are just ignorant, as we once were, and are trying very hard. And even the ones who aren't trying, that is their right, it's their body, and if they choose to eat crap over health and longevity, so be it, it's their life, and their choice to make. I think that when people are secure with their own beliefs/lifestyle then the tendency to hate dissipates.

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

I think that when people are secure with their own beliefs/lifestyle then the tendency to hate dissipates.
    </blockquote>

I completely agree. Hatred towards someone who has not personally attacked or injured you is not healthy, in my opinion. (I'm not saying that any hatred is healthy, just especially not when it is generalized.)

I think this thread started out more light-hearted, though. I think that the OP was more expressing exasperation or frustration than pure hatred.

elkonquistador Guest

I have to comment on Tarlach's point of view. I must say that unless he lives in a remote area, kills and grows his own food and dismisses modern society, he is a hypocrite. What kind of fuel does your car run on? Face it, the fruits of modern society that you enjoy are fueled by your brothers that are fueled on carbs. You should be proud that you maintain a 100% paleo diet. It should end there. You should encourange and educate those around you on the benefits of the primal lifestyle. Unfortunately, Mark's 80/20 philosophy if better. It is simply better for society. I do enjoy an occasional pizza and dessert because I can relish the successes of the sophisticated modern culinary arts. (I happen to live near the best pizzeria in the country - Pizzeria Bianco) You should know that your brothers around you that you have failed to educate on the primal lifestyle have strengths in other areas that you cannot even fathom. How much can you squat? How much of your time do you sacrifice to help others? What ever you can do, there will always be someone out there that can do more. You should not hate, or you should be satisfied with being inferior to those around you that do not maintain a 100% paleo diet, but have discovered the primal lifestyle, made their lives better and are thankful and happy to encourage and help others.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I think Tarlach's argument goes more amongst the lines of striving for perfection when you can.

The 80% approach, imo, is meant to encourage people to persist on being primal despite eventually failing to go 100%; ie, better 80% than nothing. This is especially useful to people new to the lifestyle. Expecting most people to suddenly transition from processed and carb intensive foods to paleo is, imo, disingenuous.

No one likes to be told our (in some cases huge) efforts to go primal are not good enough because primal is not ideal. But keeping that mentality helps us to constantly be in the look-out to further improve our lifestyle.

I think we should take Tarlach's case as a proof that it is actually possible to go 100% paleo and be healthy, and that we should be receptive to what he has learned and is willing to share.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

deepthought is offline Junior Member

@SS. I agree with you. Go Tarlach!

Daughter of Grok Guest

@Tarlach- From what I have read of your comments a lot of things I once thought were primal aren't. A lot of things I thought were vegetables were not. So my question for you is what qualifies as a vegetable? Any general rule of thumb you could give a beginner like me? I've finally cut out dairy, have been successful for several weeks now and how no more inkling for it, so I think I'm ready for the next challenge. So peppers and tomatoes are nightshades right? I'm guessing radishes and cabbage also aren't vegetables since radishes grow under the ground? Are all "true" vegetables leafy and green??? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just realized that I have no idea what a vegetable is...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast