Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The people you love to hate page 2

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I hate more - the people that won't try.

But why not aim for perfect?

That's like giving up cigarettes 80% of the time??? Just smoking on the weekend won't give you the benefit of quitting properly.

If you knew something is bad for you, then why not give it up?

'I'll just have a little bit and it won't hurt me as much' is a silly idea.

Mark's philosophy works fine for those that can't commit to 100% paleo. They won't ever experience the same benefits, but it's entirely up to the individual to decide what to put in their body.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

trinity4 is offline Member

I understand envy at times, wishing I could eat anything I want and not have to worry about my weight or health. But I am thankful that I do have to worry, because while I am learning to nourish myself I am growing as a person and finding new ways to be in the world. I assume that everyone is doing the best that they can with the information they have been given, and when you know better hopefully you will do better. I am learning how all the sugar and crap I used to eat was a mere symptom of my underlying issues around attachment and abandonment, an attempt to fill up an empty well. I am thankful for the opportunity to dig myself out of that hole, and grow in the process. Whether a person is fat or thin, or in between,I try to have compassion for where they are. I don't know a single person who is not envolved in some personal struggle in some facet of their life.

I also try to remember that while I am obsessing over all my choices, there is someone in the world with no choices, who would give anything for the food that I turn my nose up at just so they can eat at all.

Sorry for sounding preachy, we all just sometimes need to remember how fortunate we all are.

Daughter of Grok Guest

Tarlach-What's wrong with tomatoes, paprika and cayenne peppers besides the fact that "Grok" didn't eat them? Do they actually f-up your insulin levels? Is there a scientific basis for not eating them? If there is a good case for not eating these (the three on your list that I currently do not avoid)I will cease immediately but as of now I am hard pressed to think of a reason.

Tarlach is offline Member

Nightshades are not considered Paleolithic as they are a 'new age' food only being available to humans in relatively resent years (not during Paleolithic times). They are also known to cause or irritate many arthritic conditions, which is another indicator that humans have not properly evolved to eat them.

The Solanaceae (nightshade) family includes potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and some scary members like Datura or Jimson weed, mandrake and deadly nightshade

Solanaceae species are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities.

We have also verified from personal experience that nightshades cause joint pains. Sorry, but I'm not testing long term to see if they cause arthritis too...

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008/1/6/nightshades/

more here:

http://cavemanforum.com/index.php?topic=947.0

http://www.archure.net/salus/nightshade.html

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Riceball Guest

umm....

just because they can eat sugar and doesn't gain weight..doesn't mean it's good for them.

in fact, many people have the body to handle that much junk or carbs without showing problems on their figures.

but the hidden risk of harming their health is so high, that they don't make me feel jealoused at all!

they could be eating at "moderation" and just use the caloric deficit to keep their body looking fit, or heck, some people could just eat endless junks without getting big at all.

but what about the internal inflammation they might have? and what about the accumuated stress they're putting on their pancreas and the accumulated harm they're creating to their insullin response?

sure, a few lucky people could get away with that too, but who's going to be able to find out if they'll live even healthier or longer if they don't eat those crap?

looking thin doesn't mean they're healthy... and as good as they look now, who knows what they'll be looking like in the future? all those thin friends of mine who drink so much beer all the time doesn't mean they'll stay thin, just look at their parents.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Oh boy, I just love the "Grokier-than-thou" attitude.

Sure, we could sit around and eat raw meat and leaves, but who wants to live like that? I mean, if you're REALLY going Paleo, it's all raw too, right?

*rolls eyes*

I don't hate anybody, but I do pity those who just don't get it. I hate seeing my family pig out on sweets, and pile on the potatoes, but that's because I know how bad it is for them.

62shelby Guest

@Tarlach.........our ancient ancestors didnt drive cars, live in houses, shower regularly, go to markets, farmers or otherwise or have a refrigerator to cool food or a stove barbie to cook on......so where exactly as a modern human do you draw the line?

We all have our hypocrisies in some form. I am reminded of the book chocolat, where the austere priest ends by doing a face plant in pile of chocolate.

.......*roll eyes*

Curiousfarmer Guest

Heard an interesting piece on NPR yesterday while I was mowing hay. Almost all foods are genetically modified in the sense that most of the foods we eat have been selected and bred for specific traits.

Grok wouldn't even recognize most of the plants we eat.

I just realized we have gotten way off topic. I'll continue. In Malcolm Gladwell's book, "Blink," he talks about a sure sign a couple won't stay together, contempt.

Is a smile included with all of the "eye rolling?" I'm smiling.

prairiegirl Guest

BEing thin and eating like crap is just another way malnutrition manifests . . . .some people get fat, others get very thin. My brother and I are polar opposites . .. the worse he eats the skinnier he gets. I am the opposite.

Tarlach, Mark certainly doesn't eat the way you describe and I would say he has gotten pretty fantastic results despite your statement that no one who eats like that will get results as good as you .

dalvarez Guest

Starving themselves keeps them thin, I'd like to see them do a couple of push ups! hehehhehehe

Speaking of Genetically Engineered foods you must read:

FOOD INC!!!!! I'm halfway through and all I have to say is that I am surprised I am still alive!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast