Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbs after or pre workout? page

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

Carbs after or pre workout?

Primal Fuel
    Tell me what is the difference if I consume carbs before or after an exercise session?
    If I consume them before, I will just burn them, not fat. If I consume them after, they will fill up my muscles and there will be no weight gain? So it allows me to cheat? It's confusing if that's true or not
    I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    What kind of work out? My vote is for "neither"

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    that is the general consensus it bodybuilding circles . the mentality is that taking in carbs post workout it will refill your glycogen stores and help with protien synthesis . it is not needed in my opinion . I am friends and train with a few bodybuilding types and my gains have been equal to theirs without doing it. and yes any excess will be stored and if you consume them pre workout you will most likely burn them first, not good if you are looking to burn excess fat . you would be better off with a high protien snack post workout IMO, your body can convert excess protien to glycogen .
    hope this helps

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've been having success with eating lots of carbs (at least a lot in a Primal diet) post-workout. I don't know scientifically what difference it makes. I guess like you said, if you eat them before, you will use the carbs for energy and not really have much of a chance to burn body fat (unless you're in a large caloric deficit). Post-workout, I think a lot of the carbs go toward glycogen synthesis. They also spare protein that would otherwise be diverted to re-stock glycogen and direct energy needs (via gluconeogensis).

I started eating carbs post-workout due to inspiration/recommendation from Martin Berkhan (Leangains). I eat sweet potatoes, winter squash, and recently root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, and turnips. I also usually have a piece of fruit. I try to keep my fat intake somewhat low for this post-workout meal. This is recommended by Martin, but I have noticed that I just feel bad if I combine large amounts of fat and carbs simultaneously.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Mark says an insulin spike post-workout will inhibit the production of the muscle-building, anabolic hormones like testosterone, IGF-1, and human growth hormone. Depending on how long prior to the workout you take carbs, I imagine the insulin will still be there to a greater or lesser degree.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    In theory, if you consume carbs within 30 minutes post-workout, your insulin never spikes due to the liver converting and storing all the sugars as glycogen. I've been playing with it and it seems to work for me. I'll hammer 800 calories of fruit and whole milk yogurt as a smoothie immediately after a hard workout and feel no bouncy bounce symptoms at all. I typically burn 800 calories in a hard workout. I don't like fueling before a workout at all.

Note: I often work out a lot longer than PB advises. I like the nutrition aspects of PB, but I'm not sold on the fitness aspect. We evolved into magnificent endurance athletes. We didn't do that sprinting every once in a while and moving slowly the rest of the time. If you're doing PB workouts, there's really no need to refuel, you didn't burn that many calories.

Gordo

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    After a hard workout I like liquid calories and don't feel any crash and burn effects at all from a pint of milk-based PWO drink. I can get 'shakey' after really pushing it on an empty stomach and I like to get something in my system. I haven't done any kind of testing on myself to know if it HELPS build muscle, but I've been doing it and building muscle so there you have it. I don't eat pre-workout unless I'm really hungry.

Bill_89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Note: I often work out a lot longer than PB advises. I like the nutrition aspects of PB, but I'm not sold on the fitness aspect. We evolved into magnificent endurance athletes. We didn't do that sprinting every once in a while and moving slowly the rest of the time. If you're doing PB workouts, there's really no need to refuel, you didn't burn that many calories.
    I have to say that I agree with you to an extent. Compared to the rest of the animal kingdom, humans are lousy sprinters but fantastic endurance athletes (due both to our bipedality and ability to sweat). I recall one of my biology professors speculating that it was probably common for our human ancestors to put their superior endurance to use to exhaust their prey.

You still have to be careful about shin splints and leg injuries. I've suffered from them frequently.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    You still have to be careful about shin splints and leg injuries. I've suffered from them frequently.
    Actually, no. I don't wear shoes when I run. Back when I wore shoes, I was always injured.

Gordo

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Art DeVaney:

Here’s a simple one: If you go to the gym several hours after your last meal (so that you’re on a relatively empty stomach), your body will quickly burn through whatever glycogen is in your muscles and then move on to burning fat, which is the desirable state. But if on your way to the gym you have a sports drink, one with lots of carbs, you’ll need to burn off the glucose first. And depending on your workout, you might never get around to burning fat at all. Same exact exercise routine, very different outcomes, all because of your choice of pre-exercise beverage.

I think it really depends on your goals. If you do not wcant to lose anymore body fat, post workout ingestion of (primal) carbs is fine.

But if you need to lose body fat, Brad Pilon sums it up pretty good right at the end of this video:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast