Thread: Approaching menopause but not willing to give up! What can I do? page

Ailu is offline Junior Member

Question Approaching menopause but not willing to give up! What can I do?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope someone who has dealt with a similar situation to mine can help...

Both my husband and I have been primal for a couple of years now. At first, we both lost a lot of weight, and looked great. However, his overall physique just keeps improving, whereas, at the recent onset of perimenopause, I am suddenly starting to get flabby. He especially has gained muscle & become tone since he started taking tribulus, but there is no way I am going to take that, I suffer far too easily from breakouts as it is.

I'm pretty much convinced that this is primarily hormonal, but I've no idea what to do about it. Upon researching it, I don't want to take estrogen, but I'm open to plant-based estriol or progesterone. Anyone had any success with either of these? Or with any other supplements? I'm also very open to weight lifting but confused about which techniques would give me the most bang for my buck (don't want to spend more than 30 minutes twice a week at it).

Anyhow, I'm sure there are others who have battled this. Any advice you can give is sincerely appreciated!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    do you do primal blueprint fitness? don't wait to work on your strength until you find the "perfect" program, start now & perfect later! no way you should need more than 30min/wk or so.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I kept up my eating and exercise program throughout menopause and never took any supplemental hormones. I now weigh less than I did anytime in my life since the 7th grade and I'm more fit at age 69 than I was in high school. Menopause is a natural life process and nothing to fear.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    do you do primal blueprint fitness? don't wait to work on your strength until you find the "perfect" program, start now & perfect later! no way you should need more than 30min/wk or so.
    +100 Building your muscle mass (don't worry-- you won't "bulk up"!) is the best way to rev up your metabolism and burn more calories when you are sitting around. Exercise per the PB Fitness plan for 6 weeks and see what happens.

Your hormones may balance themselves out if they have what they need nutritionally. Are you sufficient in Vitamin D?

Once you address Vitamin D & exercise, it may take a few months to see a change. If no change, then chasteberry is a good herb to help balance hormones.

At 47, I had been using some Progesterone cream to help with perimenopausal symptoms, but since going Primal 6 weeks ago, I don't feel like I need it any more. I have lost 2" from my waist and hips and approx 5 lbs (maybe more, I don't weigh myself!)

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Here's what is on my personal program for dealing with the issues you describe (I'm 51, post-menopausal, and having trouble losing weight on PB).

1. Testing my hormonal balance (or lack thereof) through my naturopath. Depending on the results I won't hesitate to supplement with bio-identical progesterone and estriol. From the books I've read, both of these hormones are protective of breast and uterine tissue, ie. do not promote cell proliferation. (Uzzi Reiss, "Natural Hormone Balance for Women," and Elizabeth Vliet "Screaming to be Heard").
    2. Also depending on test results, I will start supplementing with low-dose DHEA and pregnenalone. DHEA taken orally tends to partially convert to testosterone, which may be a big plus for me. I'm pretty sure my HMO will not prescribe me any gel-based testosterone. But DHEA is what I can obtain OTC.
    3. Making sure my thyroid and adrenals are functioning well. Saliva tests through naturopath and/or blood tests for thyroid. This is a bit later on though.
    4. Try to help my body along with it's reduced HGH production by not eating any carbs 2 hours before bedtime, and try to be asleep by 10pm so that HGH-production can kick in. Work on lifting heavy things, which I haven't really been doing. I may need to try melotonin to help me get to sleep as I've been relying on a bit of fruit etc at bedtime for that purpose.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.