Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ex Vegetarians/Vegans - what made you change? page 3

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was vegetarian for 10 years; started eating meat again about 4-5 years ago. If only I could get that time back.

1) What FIRST prompted you to start questioning your plant-based path?
    Ill health. Specifically: weakness, dizzy spells, weight GAIN, depression, anxiety, migraines, digestive issues. There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

2) What was the last straw that finally convinced you to eat meat again?
    I started therapy due to depression, anxiety, and feeling pretty darn crappy all the time. The therapist believed in the Blood Type Diet - I am Type O, and according to her, I should have been eating red meats, not much in the way of grains, etc. Ok, funny haha. Then I did online metabolic questionnaires, which always came back "protein type". I added more eggs, but still not a great improvement in health. At someone's suggestion, I added seitan and tofu to my diet. Wow was that bad. Very bad. So I decided to try meat...

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?
    Yes, fish first - sashimi. Then I tried other seafood - shrimp, scallops, cooked salmon. No issues. Then chicken which felt like a brick in my stomach. Beef wasn't too bad, same with pork. It's been a few years, and my only hang-ups are offal and things with bones - still working on it.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I also (although mine only lasted for a couple of months) broke the spell with bison and it was like popping a candy flip! I don't know what it was, everything just synced and I felt like I had replaced something that I had lost. I was supplementing with B12 so that couldn't be it. Not that it matters what.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    1) What FIRST prompted you to start questioning your plant-based path?
    Low iron levels, underactive thyroid, orange skin, thinning hair, metabolic tests that indicated comprimised liver- and kidney function, and fat gain. (I was a raw vegan, so the consequences were worse for me....)

2) What was the last straw that finally convinced you to eat meat again?
    My doctor told me if I didn't change my diet NOW, I may need surgery to correct my enlarged thyroid.

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages?
    Nope. Walked to the store right there and then and bought some roast beef. I never looked back. Not even four months later my thyroid tests came out swimingly good.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Mea culpa for imposing the veg/vegan thing on friends and family. I will not do the same thing w/ primal.
    Totally. Being wrong is humbling.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I also (although mine only lasted for a couple of months) broke the spell with bison and it was like popping a candy flip! I don't know what it was, everything just synced and I felt like I had replaced something that I had lost. I was supplementing with B12 so that couldn't be it. Not that it matters what.
    I really do think the Chinese are on to something- there's definitely more to certain meats (and things like liver) than the mere sum of their nutrients! I totally got a little "rush" from the bison! I was on B12 and iron already, too.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah like they say that lamb "warms the stomach", I agree. My tummy is very warm after a meal of lamb. Not inflammed, but feeling good.

I could only guess what some of the benefits are. We could reduce it to CLA, creatine, carnosine, carnitine, and all of the other things that can't be found in appreciable amounts in plants, but stuff like the warming could possibly have to do with the exact sequence of pathways that get activated from a particular food with its unique mixture of biochemicals and their overall effect on metabolism.

Could it possibly be my own body trying to reinforce my resumed meat-eating ways? "Hey you, I don't know what the heck you thought you were doing there but this is better. Keep it up and have some euphoria"

All speculation, though. Fun speculation.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Maybe there's an ineffable alchemy that happens from the commingling of certain nutrients: Meat Magic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123