Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex Vegetarians/Vegans - what made you change? page 2

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    1) What FIRST prompted you to start questioning your plant-based path?

Cold all of the time. I subconsciously was craving the animal fat.

2) What was the last straw that finally convinced you to eat meat again?

I did do #3 starting w/ fish. I think the social aspect of it was more important. Mea culpa for imposing the veg/vegan thing on friends and family. I will not do the same thing w/ primal.

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?

See above. A glass of whole milk or large dish of ice cream does now bother me though just as gluten seems to after 2 months PB. Easy to avoid in amounts that will make me feel bloaty.

anne is offline Member
    I have been a vegetarian for almost 15 years and stopped around a month ago. I started when I was 13 years old and don't have a lot of memories about ever eating meat. I was picky back then and only ate a very short list of things.

I started tracking my nutrition in a software that also shows total vitamins and minerals intake (http://spaz.ca/cronometer/ in case anyone is interested) and I noticed that although I was eating almost exclusively unprocessed food and made a real effort to eat healthy I had a very hard time meeting all my nutritional goals (B vitamins, iron). I was tired a lot, always pale and had low iron levels for at least 10 years. Iron supplements have side effects and are also no permanent solution so I had to find another way. Moreover, I always had the feeling that I was craving something that I could never get and was trying to make up for the lack of meat by eating lots of grains.

I had been thinking about this for at least a year but just couldn't do it. Then I started reading books about food addiction since I was looking for ways to handle my cravings and binge eating habits. After that, I started to read more about going low carb but I never really liked the idea because it focuses so much on just carbs and not on eating whole foods. For some reason that I can't remember I bought the primal blueprint book; I had known about it for a while but I guess I was just not ready before. I read it and that was the last little thing I needed to convince myself to try eating meat again.

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?
    I started with fish, then chicken and just loved it. To be honest, I had been eating fish every once in a while as a vegetarian; I always tried to stop but I lacked the discipline to do so. I was craving it a lot and was also hoping that it would help with my iron levels. I pretty much devoured the first chicken that I bought, it was not a pretty sight. Unfortunately, I started eating fish or chicken every day afterwards and grew sick of it very quickly. The fact that I have no experience with cooking meat might not have helped either.

So I tried to make some beef curry but did not like the taste of beef at all and realized that I have to take things slowly. I had forgotten that I never ate anything but fish, chicken or sausages as a child because I didn't like anything else and the realization that I did not enjoy eating meat was a bit of a shock - I though it would be easier. I do not know whether I will be able to learn to like other types of meat but I will just be patient and give it a try. I think I will buy a meat grinder and learn to make patties and maybe sausages and hope that this will work.

I don't even like bacon. I'm screwed.
    Last edited by anne; 12-21-2010 at 01:37 PM.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    The amount of processed garbage I felt like I had to eat: Boca Burgers, Tofurkey (WTF?) highly carbohydrate based stuff. I was definitely always more into natural foods, but I always felt unsatisfied eating salads with only veggies.

Just feeling like crap and craving a giant steak all..the..time. Browsing around online about health diets I came across diets like the blood type diet, followed by eat what you're supposed to eat for you're race diet (like a lot of my heritage is anglo-celtic so I guess that area)...Then finally I stumbled upon Paleo. Then I found the Primal Blueprint. I eat more paleo style though - with a little bit of dairy in my coffee that I'm about to give up for almond milk (my fav milk as a vegan/veg). Stoked I found that silk now makes 100% almond milk with no soy additives. OH also should add that I found an article about grains r bad mckay from Dr.Mercola so really I read a lot about it on his site first, all about soy and grains and insulin etc. Then I found my way into Paleo from there.

Nah, I went back to eating how I used to almost right away. I was only vegan for like 6 months. It didnt take long to feel like crap, tired, always grumpy at the world. No energy....
    Last edited by earthspirit; 12-21-2010 at 10:46 PM.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    When I learned my son reacted to gluten, dairy, soy, corn and eggs, and I had to cut them all out of BOTH of our diets as I was nursing, my vegetarian diet felt very limited. I became a soy-free, gluten free vegan for a bit, but felt awful. (I had been vegetarian for 12 years and was overweight, often sick, and had other health issues I just was not admitting to myself at the time.) Reading info on allergy forums lead me to learn about 'traditional foods' practices from places like WAPF. Many moms w/ kids with food sensitivities/allergies seem to utilize traditional foods, good fats, and nutrient dense foods etc to work on healing. I added in vegan ferments but was feeling like that was not enough. With a lot of thought, and finally after convincing myself that humans were NOT meant to be vegetarian--that we are natural omnivores (duh!) I added in chicken, then bone broth, then beef, next fish, and then pork...No ill effects ever of adding meat back in--which totally suprised me. My son is now fine with eggs and ghee, so I use those as well in my cooking. Once I spent more time reading about what we really have evolved to eat, I never had a question about this. I was being a vegetarian for 'health' reasons moreso than ethics (ha!) so once I had changed my mind I never looked back.

Best decision I've ever made. I've prob. lost 70 lbs by avoiding gluten and dairy and soy and corn and adding in meat, and finally switching totally to primal. My health has improved 10fold. I'd recommend adding in meat to ANYONE. Also, _The Vegetarian Myth_ is a good one to check out if you are being a vegetarian for ethical reasons. Gets into the nitty gritty of why some vegetarian diets are just as harsh to animals/the planet as eating CAFO meat. Going local, going grassfed, etc, can be much more environmentally friendly, sustainable, and ethical ways to eat. (My own veg. diet was MUCH harder on the environment than my current primal one, because of where/how I was sourcing my food...)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Paleobird Guest
    I was only vegetarian for about a year back in college because I had a roommate who believed in it devoutly so I decided to give it a try. Too tired of listening to her talk about the immorality of eating flesh.

What convinced me that it was horse pucky was that she and all her veg friends would all sit around telling each other how heathy they were while eating tofu burgers but they all looked anemic and "skinny-fat" and none could make it up a flight of stairs without getting winded.

prodistat is offline Senior Member

F'ing hungry ALL THE TIME and I got tired of the elitism. Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman, you're wrong.

www.beyondveg.com. Months later, Reading Omnivore's Dilemma.

I got a filet mignon for my anniverary dinner. It was delicious. MMMmmm steak. And then I went nuts with the cookies. And then months later, I did paleo, which I was still hungry and unsatisfied. And so much damn chicken. WTH? And now primal, which is much better.
    Last edited by prodistat; 03-09-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updating the last straw question.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to be able to feel morally superior to people.

Last straw was I wanted to be healthier.

All of these Buddhists with their anti-violence stuff. And then when they realize that their lives are better as omnivores they have to come up with some ridiculous rationalization to somehow make meat eating "spiritual" in a Buddhist way. That's what you get for holding untenable philosophical beliefs - a dissonant existence. Once I realized that morality only made sense between moral agents who can advocate each others' liberty and that such a thing applies to humans and is a useful concept amongst my peers, but that it doesn't apply to an animal who can not reciprocate, I realized how silly I had been. You shouldn't try to rationalize eating meat, you should realize that there is nothing wrong with harming an animal for your own benefit. Although people who are excessively malevolent and like to torture puppies are usually dangerous to humans too, but factory farming is a matter of economics, not love of pain and this especially isn't true of pasture farming. Not that I draw the distinction between them, that would mean that there is something wrong with factory farming besides nutritionally and possibly economically.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Honestly, it was vanity. I wanted to lose weight, and I realized that eating such a high carb diet was detrimental to doing so. In order to be lower carb and higher protein I had to eat Gardenburger "chicken" patties and other garbage, and it made no sense.

Learning about paleo/primal and realizing that it JUST MAKES SENSE. I love animals (my life and business basically revolves around them) but humans are made to eat meat. Period. It is the cycle of life, food chain, etc. Of course, I wish that I could afford and find meat sourced only from organic, grass fed, humane farms, but that is not entirely realistic. I will do the best I can.

A3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?
    Stages. I started with fish and seafood. Then chicken and turkey. I am still in the process of introducing red meat. That is harder as I really don't like the taste and cooking with meat is foreign to me. I do eat a lot of "processed" meat as it is easier for me (rotisserie chicken, organic deli meat, nitrate free bacon) right now, but I would like to get away from that. I do a lot in the crockpot as I can often just dump meat from the freezer in without having to handle it a lot. I have no doubt that I will become a "regular" meat eater one day, it just takes time to change your entire way of eating.

ETA: I was a vegetarian for 20+ years.
    Last edited by paradisefound; 03-09-2011 at 12:19 PM.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 26 yrs.....(!!!!!) (so crazy)....my health was poor, I developed adrenal exhaustion, asthma, gained weight (a lot) and never ever thought of returning to meat eating.....
    why I became veg- I got swept up in some theories, macrobiotic, for one.
    why I returned to eating meat-again, a theory, the Blood Type Diet, which I still follow. As a type O I realized I was the type who needed meat the most...so I tried it. My DH made me a turkey burger and it tasted so good. I began taking enzymes to assist in digestion, but after a yr or so I quit those and was fine. lost weight, (still need to), with the removal of grains I eliminated asthma, feel much much better!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I was vegetarian for about 16 years with a little infrequent fish (I never could quite feel bad about eating fish). I had read my mom's old Paavo Airola books in the early 90's and her "Fit For Life" book and felt like vegetarianism must be healthier, but it wasn't until I read an article about factory farming that I overnight decided not to eat meat anymore. After a few years of not eating meat, it didn't even appeal to me and I thought I would stay vegetarian for the rest of my life.
    Toward the end of my vegetarianism, I became a raw vegan for 6 months in hopes of healing my adrenal fatigue, acne and hormonal imbalances (and I was high-raw for quite a few months before that). I was desperate to feel good and I hadn't really felt good in over a decade.

I wasn't getting results on my veg. diet, no matter how I tweaked it. During my raw vegan experiment, I ended up losing a lot of muscle, despite my careful protein intake and my energy levels and skin never improved. I abandoned that and started eating eggs again and some fish and my muscle returned very quickly. That was my first clue that my body did better with animal protein.
    I had another raw vegan friend who had read "Primal Body, Primal Mind" (after being told by her naturopath that she absolutely had to start eating meat) and she began adapting the principles and getting great results. I really trusted this friend (she's studied holistic health and diet extensively) so I read the book and it made so much sense to me!
    I love reading health books, but because of my veg. brainwashing, I had never been exposed to a lot of the info in "Primal Body", so I had no idea! I had also been poking around on Tom Billings' site "Beyond Vegetarianism" and was fascinated by the stories of former vegetarians, vegans and raw foodists who got much healthier eating meat.
    Another clue was from the book "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson. He states that vegetarians have a harder time recovering from adrenal fatigue and that it's nearly impossible for vegans in his clinical experience. That matched my own story- I wasn't healing on my veg. diet! It mirrored a lot of the info from "Primal Body", where she states that the brains of vegetarians and vegans are the most dysregulated and hardest to balance.

I had several dreams bluntly telling me to. In one, I was eavesdropping on a doctor of Chinese medicine talking to another doctor about me and she said, shaking her head, "She needs to eat meat!!". In another dream I was tasked with analyzing the diet of a very healthy, robust man and all the foods he ate were laid out in raw form on a big table. There were piles of red meat, fish, veggies and tubers. It was very Paleo.
    Even after I knew I was going to start eating meat again, it took me months to actually do it!

I was already eating eggs and I had upped my fish, but when I decided to eat "real" meat, I went straight for the bison! I believe in Chinese energetic food theory and so I wanted to go for the meat of a big, strong animal, since I was so opposite of that. I wanted that bison energy, LOL! So, my hubby cooked me a plain bison burger with some onions and I was hesitant to take that first bite, but after that it was great! I wanted a second burger (I restrained myself out of respect for my stomach)

I didn't have any digestive issues from the meat and I knew that if I encountered any, I could just take some Betaine HCl (vegetarians' stomach acid production gets downregulated- that's why some of them have issues reintroducing meat.)

I was fortunate enough to read most of "The Vegetarian Myth" right as I began eating meat and that erased any moral/ethical hesitation I had about it. I also come from a non-dual belief system (Taoism) and I really came to understand that the idea that eating meat is wrong, even though it's obviously part of the natural order of life on the planet, was a false, dualistic belief. Taoism is all about natural order.
    I had a lot of vegan friends follow suit and start eating meat shortly after me (most of them are eating Primal or Paleo) and it was encouraging to see all of them having big health improvements.
    Last edited by hazyjane; 03-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast