Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question page

paulwill is offline Junior Member

Newbie Question

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I have a question about the possibility of using Wheat & Gluten Free bread as a method of keeping Primal?

I am Wheat intolerant and this is part of the reason which has led me to try the Paleo/Primal approach.

As part of my transition to a more Primal approach, I was wondering if I could still include (a small amount per week) of Wheat/Gluten free bread. The ingredients are:

Water, Potato Starch, Cornflour, Vegetable Oil, Tapioca Starch, Egg White, Rice Bran, Cellulose, Sugar, Yeast, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Rice Flour, Salt.

Is there anything massively un-primal about this? It appears to not have too much grain as apposed to normal wheat bread.

Any feeback or held would be great!!!

Thank in advance,

Paul.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Un-primal ingredients in that "bread" include:

- Potato starch - this is arguable, some Primal peeps will eat potatoes, but starch is one of the things that spikes blood sugar, so it's not your first choice
    - Corn flour - comes from a grain. 'Nuff said. Grains are NOT Primal.
    - Vegetable oil - absolutely not primal.
    - Tapioca starch - again, it's a starch, see potatoes for that issue
    - Rice bran - comes from a grain. See "corn flour" above.
    - Sugar - sure, if you want to spike your insulin through the roof, but not Primal.
    - Xanthan gum - what the hell is that? Probably not Primal.
    - Rice flour - see rice bran and corn flour; this still comes from a grain.

Bottom line: don't eat it. It's a processed food. You CAN give up bread. It's doable. Six weeks from now you'll wonder why you ever wanted it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    well said, griff. it's true, i could walk through a bakery and not even have the slightest craving. i'm amazed at how little i want bread given how much i used to love it. plus, that means i get more of the things that make bread good: butter, bacon, veggies, meat, etc.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    yeah...most of the things listed are verbotten when going Primal (although the Xanthan Gum is a valid stabilizer...I use it to make gravy). As far as bread goes, think about it for what it really is: a topping and/or filling delivery mechanism. If you want a sandwich, why not eat all the good things you would be putting into the sandwich (roast beef, cheese, veggies, etc) and skip the bread?

paulwill is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it!

I think the "bread" is really just something for me to lay my egg on for breakfast, need something else to put with the egg. Meat is expensive, and veggies taste a bit odd, the only thing that I can seem to stomach early on is egg and spinach.

Any suggestions?

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Yeah if it's got more than 2 ingredients, walk away

Re. breakfast, chuck in your spinach and anything else i.e. bits of cabbage, bacon, onions, peppers, brussell sprouts and fry for a bit. Break in 3 whole eggs and mash around until the egg is cooked. You can add a little cheese at this stage if you wish. Great start to the day.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    What Simon said. The best thing about eggs is that they don't taste like much of anything at all, so they take on the flavor of whatever you add. We'll usually throw in whatever is left over from dinner the previous night, veggies included.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwill View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it!

I think the "bread" is really just something for me to lay my egg on for breakfast, need something else to put with the egg. Meat is expensive, and veggies taste a bit odd, the only thing that I can seem to stomach early on is egg and spinach.

Any suggestions?
    Going Primal is, in part, about letting go of what we're used to, because what we're used to hasn't been good for us. Things may taste or seem odd at first. Salmon and broccoli for breakfast? Why not?

One of my absolute favorite breakfasts- two actually- are eggs scrambled with onion, and eggs scrambled with kale. Or... eggs over easy plopped on top of a big pile of veggies. Suddenly I'm getting a craving for eggs and cauliflower... dunking the cauliflower in the yolk. Ohh, I think I'm gonna have to do that tomorrow.

Sorry for the tangent- lol. Veggies go quite well with eggs. Make an omelet! Let go of substitutions. They're really not doing you any favors.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have a hard time eating early in the morning, so I just do a large lunch and a large dinner and will often scramble a couple eggs in coconut oil for a snack if necessary.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Bacon and eggs. You don't need bread.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast