Thread: protein in coconut flour page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

protein in coconut flour

Shop Now
    From what I have learned here it is best to avoid plant-based protein. I frequently use a brand of coconut flour that is very rich in protein (20 g in 100 g). It is tasty and I make grest "porridges" with it. Does anyone know if this is a "benign" source of protein or even acceptable?
    Thank you!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember hearing that plant-based protein is bad, just specific sources of it, like soybeans.

Coconut is an amazing food. Some people have digestive issues with it, but since you haven't noticed any problems, I say go for it.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    lots of us use coconut flour around here. so long as it's pure, i wouldn't worry about it.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    what brand of coconut flour has so much protein? have you checked for an ingredients list?

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    The brand I usually use is Amanprana (www.amanprana.de). It is 100% organic and natural, nothing at all added. It has 20 g protein, 10 g fat and 4 g carbohydrate. Actually, I think the flour is "waste" from producing the oil. I do not know why it is so high in protein probably because it is so concentrated as the fat has been extracted from it. I just do not know if it is high quality protein. The flour, however, has a very dry texture but from what I know there are only two brands available in German health food stores, the other has around 26 g of carbs in it but as much protein (it is higher in calories that is).

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    There's no need to avoid plant proteins just because. The aim should be to avoid making plant proteins your predominate source of dietary protein intake.

JayDPiii is offline Junior Member
    All proteins in 'grain" products (which are not Primal anyway) are benign or non-use-able,
    except for soy protein (but soy is bad and also non-Primal).
    So almost all Protein for Primal must come from animal sources,
    to be use-able. Difficult to be vegan and Primal to get sufficient amounts of good protein.
    I haven't yet determined from research if Protein in Coconut flour is use-able ?

Hunt3R is offline Member
    In unprocessed coconut, the protein is benign. The fat is the healthiest part of the coconut. I would find a different brand. Relying on plant protein as a major source of protein in your diet may be what you were warned against.