Thread: Raw Fish page

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member

Raw Fish

Primal Fuel
    I want to start eating more fish, and I particularly like it raw/sushi/sashimi/whatever. Can I just buy my fish at Kroger, or do I have to find someplace that sells it fresher/better or something? They sell sushi there but I don't know if they use the same fish they sell behind the fish counter or what. I know there is a Japanese market near my house and they sell fish, but it'd certainly be more convenient just walking across the street.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    if you want to eat it raw, you've got to get sashimi-grade stuff. otherwise... i can't imagine it'd be safe.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

I found this... It explains things pretty well. I think I will get some fish and freeze/thaw before I eat it. I also found something on these little worms that try to bore through your intestines but they are only in certain fish, and are less likely in farmed fish, which are likely what I'll be eating.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    well, i suppose that's up to you, but i'd be even less likely to eat it raw if it was farmed.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I agree. I hesitate to eat farmed fish at all, let alone raw.

Personally, I'd take the extra steps to go to the Asian market than to eat lesser quality meat out of convenience... but then again I'm sort of a food snob.

Yerg. Now I try to find out about farmed vs wild fish, and everything contradicts everything. They are both the best and the worst thing you can put in your body.

I guess safety is most important... I'll check out that place's prices. Hm...
    Last edited by Cavebot 3.0; 12-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I actually looked into this a while back. The FDA considers ocean fish sushi safe if it has been through a hard freeze of a week or more.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I was talking with a customer about raw fish -- she'd gone out on the ocean with the people who work for NOAA --- marine biologists. Not one of them would touch sushi. She got the feeling they knew something she didn't.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    I was talking with a customer about raw fish -- she'd gone out on the ocean with the people who work for NOAA --- marine biologists. Not one of them would touch sushi. She got the feeling they knew something she didn't.
    *fingers in ears*

La LA LA LA , IM NOT LISTENING!!!!