Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a BodyMedia (like BodyBugg) and wow page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Got a BodyMedia (like BodyBugg) and wow

Shop Now
    This is the first weekend in forever that I haven't gained weight. In fact I am down to 147.7 this morning. It really does open your eyes to how many calories you are burning. I am doing good keeping a deficit of around 600 give or take. I started at 151 on Monday and am 147.7 this monday. I usually fluctuate betwen 151-148, but I almost always gain on the weekend and I didn't this weekend. I am excited to continue to use this tool.

chipdogwa is offline Member
    I have been thinking of getting one of these. I really like the sleep analysis feature. Post back in a couple weeks and let me know if it's worth the price. The price tag is the biggest thing stopping me. Those things aren't cheap. Maybe Santa will bring me one if i ask nicely

Costco has it for 149 right now with a 12 month free membership. It isn't the Bluetooth enabled, which works with smartphones, but so far that feature is sucking anyhow. I think it will definitely be worth the money.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Do you mind if I ask you a rather detailed question about this? No? Thanks!

There are times that I have eaten 1100 calories of low fat, high carb food and maintained my weight, and there are times I have eaten 1800 calories of high fat, low carb food and maintained my weight. What would your "machine" say that I was burning off? During the weeks I was eating low fat, would it say that I was burning off 1100 calories? And on the weeks that I was eating high fat, would it say that I was burning off 1800 calories?

What about adaptive thermogenesis? What does it say you are burning off when your body is adapting to the food you eat by raising and lowering your metabolism?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't a rise in metabolic rate be picked up as a rise in body temperature?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Okay let me just explain what I know so far...

The bodymedia tracks calories burned based on several different sources of data the armband collects. http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Learn-More/How-it-works This link explains it better than I could.

It doesn't matter which diet you follow as far as the armband. You have to track your food in the activity manager if you want to compare calories burned vs. calories consumed. Right now I eat a high fat diet, but I am not concern about the amount of fat so much as my overall calories. Does that make sense. I can try to copy and paste one of my days if that helps.

cook12345 is offline Junior Member
    interesting....you'll definitely have to let us know how it goes...I'd love to get one.

RSL
    Right now I eat a high fat diet, but I am not concern about the amount of fat so much as my overall calories. Does that make sense.
    Actually, there is something about that that confuses me. You say that you are concerned with the overall calories rather than the fat. Do you feel that if you suddenly switched to eating very low fat and very high carb but stayed with the same amount of overall calories, that you would continue to burn the same amount of calories and continue to lose weight?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Well I have never purposely eaten this much fat before and actually haven't lost any real weight eating this much, but I have lost eating low carb in the past and I have lost eating higher carb. I am honestly thinking at this point in my journey that is about total calories. If the calories are too high, no matter what the ratios the weight isn't going to come off for me. I also have some health issues that I am sure are contributing to my struggles. I did pay attention to my ratios too. I didn't mean to imply that I don't, but my focus is to make sure I have a calorie deficit at the end of each day. My fat intake is around 50-60% and I keep my carb to under 100. I was going really low carb and that did nothing for me. Hope that helps a little

RSL
    You might find this interesting, on the topic of all calories being equal:

http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work.c...e-counter.html
    Rebecca

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast