Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and milk... page

geologger is offline Junior Member

Kids and milk...

Primal Fuel
    First a little background...I have 2-year-old twin boys that we had through a gestational surrogate. Consequently they grew up on infant formula - soy, no less due to allergic reactions to regular formula - and then soy milk, on the recommendations of our pediatrician. (I just read the thread on soy milk and I am more than a little concerned).

My dilemma - We recently were able to give them whole milk without them breaking out in a terrible rash. They have had runny noses and cold-like symptoms for a couple of months with no apparent cause, then I put two and two together and thought it might be a less-severe reaction to the milk. Lo and behold, after a few days off of the milk (and back to soy milk), they seem much, much better.

I'm now at a loss for what to give them in place of soy. They are pretty good at eating whatever we eat, but they still love their milk. I considered almond milk, and they do like it, but I wonder if large quantities of it is a good idea.

Our pediatrician doesn't seem at all concerned about the soy milk, but the more I read the worse I feel about having given it to them for this long.

Any ideas for a suitable replacement?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I personally love coconut milk - you can water it down to give it a more milk-like texture.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk! Contains lauric acid (also in breastmilk.) Goat's milk works for some--different composition.
    Also, some children can drink RAW milk easily, though pasteurized will cause issues.

Are they grain-free? If not, I highly recommend getting them off grains or at the very least gluten-free. Most milk sensitivities are cause by leaky gut syndrome which is often caused by gluten intolerance.

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk is awesome, I also don't see any harm in almond milk, my parents have used it for years as my mom is lactose intolerant and it's more reasonably priced than coconut. I would also limit the amount of "milk" that you give them, else it's going to be very expensive and with coconut or almond it's going to be a ton of calories, mostly good fats but it's still going to fill them up and supplant other foods.

spearchick is offline Member
    When we cut down on the amount of milk my daughter drinks per day that helped as well. She gets about 4oz in the morning and 4 oz with dinner and water during the day. Occasionally I'll do a 80/20 split of water and juice. I don't think she has a milk intolerance, but she doesn't have a runny nose, etc. very often anymore. I wouldn't mind taking her off milk, but I would like for her to at least be gluten free if she's not going to be grain free. Would that be a beneficial "compromise"?

Nice, well-meaning family members have already given her too much sugar and now we must fight this battle! I discovered primal too late to start her on primal foods from the get-go.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for coconut milk. But if it's a choice of almond vs. soy milk, I'd definitely go with the almond.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup, i would do coconut, and if not that, then almond.

my son just gets breastmilk, and the occasional (1 oz) of raw cow's milk when he asks for it. he also gets kefir. you can do coconut kefir, which i bet is pretty amazing.

and we can get a fair bit of coconut cream. that is *good* stuff. my son loves it with his blueberries.

geologger is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the comments!

I think we'll try alternating all of the above, depending on their likes/dislikes. Too much of any one thing is probably best avoided.

We need to start cutting down on the amount of milk they get anyway...

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk is great. But there's absolutely no problem with almond milk.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'd focus less on the need to find a milk replacement on more on the nutrient density of the diet as a whole.

In an evolutionary environment, we simply wouldn't have been able to get in 3 servings of dairy per day (or any dairy) but there would have been meat, organ meat, some eggs (likely), some plants, tubers etc

I wouldn't sub coconut milk directly as the rapid switch to that amount of SaFA will likely cause some seriously loose stools.

I have some good infant/toddler feeding info linked from my google doc (below)....much (but not all) of it is based on WAPF info. I have some issues with them but well...there you have it

Be sure that milk substitutes aren't taking the place of the more imporant zinc and Ω3 containing foods...organ meats, bone marrow, bone broths, fatty muscle meat, fish, oysters etc.

Nutritionally speaking, there are vast differences between cow's milk, coconut milk and almond milk. Almond milk it almost nutritionally and calorically void - it's not an appropriate food for 2 yo children in any significant quantity. But I wouldn't focus on cow milk or coconut milk either....though coconut milk will make a great adjunct to their diets.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast