Thread: Carb Confessional page

MakeItSo is offline Member

Carb Confessional

I'm a newbie to the Primal lifestyle, although like many others I'd been attracted to it for quite some time prior. In my case I was "reading primally" for almost two years before I did anything more than read about it! So much time wasted! Right now I'm at the beginning of week three and am really enjoying it; had some carb flu off and on for the first two weeks, but I've already lost 15lbs, and all the blood work came back clean from my annual physical last week (not that I've ever had issues there or anything). My energy levels have benefited greatly as well.

Anyway... didn't mean to do a full-on intro here. I posted this thread as part of an ongoing effort to keep myself accountable, and following that mindset I've got some sins to confess. Last week I made it through two holiday work parties without a problem -- turning down grains like they were poison -- but sadly I didn't do so well at a friend's Christmas gathering Saturday night. Perhaps the whiskey made it easier to convince myself I deserved a "treat," or I just outright caved, but I ended up having multiple baguette slices, crackers, hummus, other dips of questionable origin, and... 6 shortbread cookies. Good thing there was also a lot of salmon, shrimp, veggies, and almonds to keep me from going overboard.

I don't feel good about those cheats, however, I simultaneously recognize that it's not the end of the world OR my primal journey. The best I can do is learn from it and move on. It was interesting that the following day, I had a moderate resurgence in my initial sugary carb cravings. There was even a day-long battle of will that ensued with some leftover birthday cake, a battle I thankfully won in the end.

Feel free to add your own confessional to this thread -- I imagine that even the best of us have our weak moments this time of year!

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Not me, I always stick to it. Though sometimes I dream I ate something bad. Last night I dreamt I ate a whole box of oreos. I got pretty scared.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Just ate an apple.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need from food sources and you'll be a'ight.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!