Thread: Infant on antibiotics page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Infant on antibiotics

Primal Fuel
    So far, we'd managed to keep our 3 and 5 year olds clear of antibiotics, but our littlest one has just succumbed to middle ear infections in both ears. Of course, we have to give them to her, as ear infections need to be treated seriously, but I am wondering if anyone has any tips for how to minimize the negative effect on her system, particularly her gut flora.

I'm a bit upset about it because she is already bit compromised in that she gets eczema from dairy and soya (not that she gets much of that) and we have been doing everything we can to keep her well.

However, when winter comes she gets lots of upper respiratory tract problems with coughs that last for weeks, and now this.

Her sister gets the same Vitamin D, multivitamin, fat-rich food and is bullet proof when it comes to infections.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thank you.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    It depends on the severity of the ear infection, but the current standard of care in the US is "watch and wait". Studies have shown that antibiotics only shorten the duration on average by 1 day, and it's just as safe to initially treat for pain only, resorting to antibiotics only if there is no sign of improvement within 2-3 days. This isn't some whacky new age thinking...mainstream pediatricians preach it.

If I could re-do one decision as a parent, it would be to question the trigger for ear infections when my oldest two were babies. They both had constant ear infections, always treated with antibiotics which treated the symptoms but not the underlying cause. My second ended up with a permanent hole in his ear that had to be surgically fixed and has permanent hearing loss. His trigger is dairy allergy. Even now--at almost 18--if he eats dairy while he has a cold, he gets an ear infection.

But back to your original question: get some infant probiotics to counteract the effect of the antibiotics on the good gut flora.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would also consider homeopathy in such a situation. it's amazing how well it works. for btoh the ear infections, and improving overall health so a chlid is less prone.

also, use the probiotics *after* you've finished the antibiotics.

Thanks both - I've just started brewing up my first batch of water kefir to help the poor wee thing fight back. I'm going to concentrate on getting her Vit D super-optimized too. Has anyone had experience of testing 25OH levels in a young child?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Racingsnake,
    "our littlest one"
    How old is your littlest one?

Since every person is different in the amount of vitamin D required to get an optimal blood reading, it sounds like your littlest one may need a higher dosage. Once you get one blood test, it is easy to adjust dosage to achieve optimum. Dr. Cannell at the D-Council has estimated that each 1,000 IU increase in supplemental vitamin D will generally produce a 10 ng/ml increase in the 25(OH)D Blood Level reading for adults. ( adjust accordingly for toddlers )

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/027345_Vi...#ixzz185IKPifL

Children require 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per 25 lbs of body weight.
    Your children should have an Optimal blood level of 60-70 ng/ml
    home testing kit: ZrtLabs $65
    http://www.zrtlab.com/vitamindcouncil/
    * Testing at nearby lab: Lab Corp $50
    http://www.saveonlabs.com/products/V...2dHydroxy.html
    For more on Vitamin D see my link below.

PS) You can get liquid Vitamin D3, might make it easier for your little one to take.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-14-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Thanks a lot Grizz. Our littlest one is 3. I was doing some thinking on this last night and I recalled a period towards the end of the summer where she was remarkably resistant to eczema. So much so in fact, that we started giving her dairy again, thinking she had grown out of it. She was eczema free for about 3 weeks (when normally one portion would give her a breakout).

I don't know why I missed it, but it seems possible (probable?) that higher vit D levels were the reason. Even here on the west coast of Scotland we get sunny periods, and the little one has a personal issue with wearing clothes, so she spent a lot of time in the sun naked.

With this in mind, I'm going to be much more focused on her vit D supplementation - by your guidelines she would need 1500iu per day. We're going to do this religiously for a couple of months and then test. In the meantime, I guess we'll see any effect it has on her eczema.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Racingsnake,

I'm glad I was able to help. What about your own Vitamin D levels?
    Be certain to also test your own blood levels to protect yourself from breast cancer and other horrid diseases. Vitamin D has been PROVEN to prevent breast cancer !

Our immune systems require optimal Vitamin D levels to function properly. If everyone took adequate Vitamin D, I'm convinced half the hospitals would shut down, and half the doctors would be out of business. THAT is why government ( Drug Companies ) is fighting Vitamin D as best they can.

Most fascinating was the link to winter and the occurance of colds & flu ! The reason is that is when vitamin D blood levels are at their lowest, and our immune systems suffer greatly. Vitamin D has been proven to prevent the FLU and Colds ! Yet our News Media Propaganda remains totally silent on this issue ! So it is up to US to pass the word to family & friends. Please pass my research report on to everyone you know:
    http://tinyurl.com/Vitamin-D-Report

Please keep us informed on your progress,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-14-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Hi Grizz

I've been supplementing vit D for a few years now and test nice and high, so my breasts (er... pecs) should be OK, thanks This has given me a kick up the behind to tighten up on all the family's supplements though.

Thanks again

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    the little one has a personal issue with wearing clothes, so she spent a lot of time in the sun naked.
    Smart kid. Guess she intuitively knew what she needed, huh?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heh, well yes, when you put it like that, it makes sense. I mean, she'd be naked in the sun even when it was only 15C outside, and windy