Thread: Wild Rice page

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia

Wild Rice

Is wild rice permissable?

Wild rice (also called Canada rice, Indian rice, and water oats) is four species of grasses forming the genus Zizania, and the grain which can be harvested from them. The grain was historically gathered and eaten in both North America and China. While it is now something of a delicacy in North America, the grain is no longer eaten in China, where the plant's stem is used as a vegetable.
    Wild rice is not directly related to Asian rice (Oryza sativa), whose wild progenitors are O. rufipogon and O. nivara, although they are close cousins, sharing the tribe Oryzeae. Wild rice is high in protein, the amino acid lysine and dietary fiber, and low in fat.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think wild rice is better than your typical white rice. But it is still a grain. Robb Wolf mentioned in a recent podcast that there are studies that show certain people have rice intolerances that manifest itself exactly the same way that gluten digestion does with celiac disease. Wild rice will still affect your insulin levels negatively but not as bad as white rice.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    On the site here somewhere Mark talks about wild rice. Basically, it's not a grain, but still carb intense. So it's ok to have sometimes, but not all the time.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I'd only want it occasionally, I'm not a big rice eater. Gluten is my big no no, I have never had a reaction to rice, I'm just not that mad about it, but I liked wild rice the one time I tried it.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a small jar of it that's been sitting on my counter for... shoot... about a year. One of these days I'll eat it as a treat.