Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond and Coconut Flour Question page

Lina is offline Member

Almond and Coconut Flour Question

Shop Now
    Coconut: I purchased some "Bob's Red Mill 'Organic High Fiber' Coconut Flour." One of the tips is to "replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe." Why would I only replace 20%? It should be fine to replace all of the flour with coconut flour, right? I love that the only ingredient in this brand is 'organic coconut.' Though I don't have any recipes in mind to make with flour at this time, I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble substituting or has used this particular brand, or even if you know a better one.

Almond: Purchased some of "Mama's Almond Blend - All purpose gluten-free flour." Ingredients begin with white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, sweet rice flour, almond meal flour. Doesn't sound too 'almondy', does it? Anyone familiar with this brand or know another?

I swear I searched the forums for info but didn't see these names mentioned or if anyone thought the extra ingredients in an almond blend were acceptable. Looks like I may try this next time: http://thecrazykitchen.blogspot.com/...-own-high.html

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If the recipe calls for wheat flour, substituting coconut flour for ALL of the wheat flour will result in a failed recipe. Coconut flour requires more eggs/binders than wheat flour. As far as the almond flour goes, Bob's Red Mill also makes almond flour, and it's 100% almonds. Look for that!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Coconut flour is so different from regular flour that I think it's pointless to try to adapt your recipes. You're better off just looking for new recipes that are created for coconut flour. Check out Tropical Traditions recipe page: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.htm

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Coconut and almond flours are a COMPLETELY different beast then wheat flour. You know that thing we talk about called 'gluten'? Thats the stuff that makes wheat flour do what wheat flour does. It forms strings that give things a 'hold togetherness' and stretchiness.

So if you replace the entire amount of flour with coconut flour you will have a dry, crumbly, blah tasting mess most likely. You can use eggs for the hold togetherness but again if you go completely coconut flour you will end up with odd results most likely.

Now almond flour works pretty well for quick breads. (not things that use yeast to rise) You still need eggs to hold things together but most quick breads have eggs in them for that reason anyway.

The almond mix you got IS going to be different then straight almond flour. I'm not sure exactly how that mix of starchy rice flours and potato starch plus almond will do but it sounds like it will hold together nicely.

Another thing you can experiment with a bit for elasticity and holding together things is a touch (and I mean a LITTLE touch - it's all you need!) of xanthan gum.

Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I mostly use coconut flour as a thickener in gravies and sauces. It's not really suitable for baking in the traditional sense.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    It's not really suitable for baking in the traditional sense.
    I beg to differ. You should taste the coconut, blueberry spice bread I made today.

Robin

Lina is offline Member
    tarek: Thank you for letting me know. I should have looked into that, but didn't think Mama's would have other stuff in it.

dragonmama: I will definitely check out some of those recipes. Thank you for posting!

Thank you to everyone else on the education of flour, gluten, etc. I haven't been craving bread, but it would be nice to make some breaded meat some time or be able to whip up a healthy dessert now and then. You guys are the best! So glad I started reading here more often!

janagram is offline Senior Member
    maybe for breading meat, but I tried to thicken gravy tonite and it was gross! gritty...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I make a roux out of the coconut flour to thicken casseroles, gravies etc. Its really good.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I like coconut bread too. I haven't tried making cookies with it yet but would like to make some for Christmas.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast