Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a very bad knee for sprinting page

bigbaldguy is offline Junior Member

I have a very bad knee for sprinting

Hello. My name is Craig from Minnesota. I am a 45 year old male. I currently weigh 305 pounds and I just signed up. IN fact I havent even received my book yet in the mail. However, I did download the e-fitness book. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and I actually have two questions. My fitness knowledge is pretty good. Even though I weigh 300 lbs I actually love to workout, mostly lifting. However, I love to eat bad foods more recently. So my questions:

1) I have had 5 surgeries on my left knee and need a knee replacement. I mean my knee is totally shot. I can use elliptical, bike or stairmaster. I can't run or even walk for very long. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on how to implement the sprinting tactics into one or more of the machines listed above. If you do and could give me a step by step detail for implementation that would be so great.

Question #2) I really do enjoy pumping iron. Both free weights and nautilus type machines. Has anyone implemented the five moves that are listed into a weight lifting routine? If you have and could provide me a "blueprint" , that also would be so great.

Thanks for your time. I look forward to hearing what you might have to say. I am so looking forward to the journey of getting back into shape.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    regarding your knee and sprinting, you can do your sprints on the bike or elliptical...basically following an hiit routine. you can also do sprints while swimming if that is a possibility for you. hill sprints on soft ground might be a way to try some running sprints that will put less stress on your knees.

as for lifting, the five exercises mark recommends are basically the major lifts with a barbel: squats, bench, overhead press, deadlift. i would stick with planks or bodyweight ab work for now, and--personally--i think that pull-ups and chin-ups are better than anything you can do with weights, like lat pulldowns or curls.

welcome to the journey. you're going to feel amazing.

Thanks Rob. Forgive me I am a newbie so, what is the hiit routine? I know I have seen it in the forums but I assume it is an acronym for something. Thanks again. I can't wait to feel amazing instead of feeling amazingly fat.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaldguy View Post
    what is the hiit routine?
    it stands for high intensity interval training. say your on the bike...warm up, then pedal as hard as you can for a minute, then rest for a minute, then sprint, then rest, etc.

some people rest by stopping completely, some people just pedal slowly. i'm in the pedal slowly camp. my bike at home is just a matter of fast vs. slow, but the bikes at my gym that i no longer go to have an autopilot feature that is great for sprints: the faster you pedal, the higher the resistance gets, so it's basically like doing bike sprints on a hill. if you're at a gym, check through the programs to see if there is an intervals program...most of them have it.

Lina is offline Member
    Besides weights and getting tips regarding sprinting, have you considered a pool? Yes, I know you're in Minnesota; I'm in Wisconsin myself. But I have a YMCA membership that I should really use more often. I used to go there when it wasn't busy and walk against the current in the pool (it's a lazy river that kids mostly use, but they set up times so people could use it for walking too). It's less stress on your knees!

Glad you joined. It sounds like you're off to a great start!

Thanks again Rob. So for the strength training I could do:

1) squats (can I use a plate loaded hack squat?)
    2) bench
    3) overhead press
    4) deadlift
    5) planks
    6) pull ups

nothing for arms? I think I read to do it like a circuit and repeat? so, two cycles? How many reps and what kind of wieght or just go to failure whatever it takes?

I appreciate your help. Thanks again

Hi Lina. I am a member of Anytime Fitness, no pool. There is a pool at a local hotel that I could use for like a buck a visit, but it has a shallow end and deep end. Would that work? Can you get "exhausted" feeling like from sprinting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    Besides weights and getting tips regarding sprinting, have you considered a pool? Yes, I know you're in Minnesota; I'm in Wisconsin myself. But I have a YMCA membership that I should really use more often. I used to go there when it wasn't busy and walk against the current in the pool (it's a lazy river that kids mostly use, but they set up times so people could use it for walking too). It's less stress on your knees!

Glad you joined. It sounds like you're off to a great start!

Lina

As far as the other days of doing a cardio workout where you go slow, my knee can handle the elliptical or bike for that. I am worried about how to sprint on the one day.

So for the strength training I could do:

1) squats (can I use a plate loaded hack squat?)
    2) bench
    3) overhead press
    4) deadlift
    5) planks
    6) pull ups

nothing for arms? I think I read to do it like a circuit and repeat? so, two cycles? How many reps and what kind of wieght or just go to failure whatever it takes?

I appreciate your help. Thanks again
    you may want to get advise from other regular lifters on here, but i would say that looks pretty good...but you'll want to split the workout up when the weights start to get heavy. there are plenty of arm movements in there: bench, overhead press, deadlifts, pull-ups, chin-ups all work the arms...and even squats too.
    i do two circuits of all the body weight exercises now, with an extra round for whatever i feel like improving on that week. when lifting, you will probably find it easier to do a few sets of each exercise before moving on the next one (if your gym is typical, once you get off the bench, you have to wait in line to get back on it...the same can be said for the squat rack). you can search around for how much exercise to do...i liked five sets of five reps per lift, then three times to fail for bodyweight exercises.
    take a look at the lessons from starting strength by mark rippletoe to learn a lot more about these lifts. some people disagree, but for beginners i think strong lifts is a good program.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Lina. I am a member of Anytime Fitness, no pool. There is a pool at a local hotel that I could use for like a buck a visit, but it has a shallow end and deep end. Would that work? Can you get "exhausted" feeling like from sprinting?
    I do sprints every week in an aqua aerobics class. We mostly do them in place, as you would on a stationary bike or elliptical. Look into Sprint 8. Warm up for a couple minutes. Move as fast as you can for 30 seconds (e.g. running in place - get out of breath), recover with slow movement for 90 seconds. Do a total of 8 sprints followed by recovery. If you can do the sprint sequence more than two or three times a week, you are not doing them hard enough. After the sprints, do a variety of other aqua exercises of your choice - resistance, range of motion, etc. Or just play :-), especially if you can find some one to join you.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 12-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast