Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a very bad knee for sprinting page 2

Lina is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaldguy View Post
    Can you get "exhausted" feeling like from sprinting?
    My guess would be no, but I'm not an expert. You'd have to do it a lot longer, that's for sure. I just know it's a good resistance exercise without being too much strain on someone with weak/injured knees and/or ankles.

Is there anyone at Anytime Fitness or your physician that would provide you with advice on the sprinting? Not that they're always right... I'd like to know if other people on this board have had bad knees and started sprinting and what the results were. Maybe within a day or so, you'll have more responses.

bigbaldguy is offline Junior Member
    Sounds good Lina. I guess I was wondering how to implement the running sprints into the elliptical or bike? I think it said in the e-book to run like 4 - 50 meter sprints or something like that. So I was hoping maybe someone had extrapolated the distance on a treadmill to an amount of "time" the sprint on the elliptical or bike should be to gain the same amount of being out of breath you are from a running sprint. Make sense? Am I just thinking too much and over-analyzing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    My guess would be no, but I'm not an expert. You'd have to do it a lot longer, that's for sure. I just know it's a good resistance exercise without being too much strain on someone with weak/injured knees and/or ankles.

Is there anyone at Anytime Fitness or your physician that would provide you with advice on the sprinting? Not that they're always right... I'd like to know if other people on this board have had bad knees and started sprinting and what the results were. Maybe within a day or so, you'll have more responses.

justjoem is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaldguy View Post
    So I was hoping maybe someone had extrapolated the distance on a treadmill to an amount of "time" the sprint on the elliptical or bike should be to gain the same amount of being out of breath you are from a running sprint. Make sense? Am I just thinking too much and over-analyzing?
    You may be over thinking it a bit. I do my sprints once weekly on an elliptical because of a bad knee. Right now I warm up for 3 to 5 minutes. Then I sprint hard and fast for 20 to 30 seconds. Basically sprint until you feel yourself slowing down significantly. Then I pedal slowly for a few minutes until my heart slows and I am breathing more normally and repeat the cycle. I am just doing 4 cycles now, but will increase it.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    For sprinting without running you might be interested in this, it's what I do on a recumbent bike...I has a bad knee.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, you can do laps in a pool as sprints.

i used to do timed distances and "race" myself. so i would warm up (200 breast stroke at a comfortable pace), and then i would start: 50 free as fast as i could then a 15 second rest, then another 50 free. then 100 free and a 20 second rest, then another 100. and so on. i would time myself and race myself. it was fun.

i got to the point where i was doing 500 free, then 30 seconds, then 500 free, and so on, and it was great. that used to be the "long terrible" event when i was in high school. but, it was easy, and it was after doing so many doubles before. then i would pyramid down, and so on.

but, to start, just doing a few laps would work well. of course, if the pool is just a little thing, and not a distance-measured pool, then no need. just do the bike.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hold on, I fail to understand how your knee is too bad for sprinting but yet you're squatting heavy weight and dead lifting as well?

Your 100lb weight loss goal is going to come mostly from ditching all bad foods and enjoying primal fare, animals and vegetation, all day everyday.

HIIT on an elliptical or stationary bike:
    -warm up
    -20 second try to pedal as fast as you can, don't give up.
    -10 pedal much slower, catch your breath
    -20 kill yourself again

do that 8 times and you're done for that day's work. You should be literally DONE if you're pushing hard enough. That's called a "Tabata" and it's pretty demanding, you're a big guy, so be careful, I don't know how strong your heart is. Maybe try just doing half a Tabata (4 rounds of 20 second all-out bursts with 10 seconds rest in between)

Also, since you can squat, can you do high jumps?

Squat down (bodyweight only, no bars here) and explode up in a jump and tuck your knees in as you jump so that they come to your chest, or your belly, as you come down squat again (using the downward momentum) and explode up again. Use your toes and balls of your feet to gracefully come down, don't make it a big thud of a movement especially since your knee is a concern. Try to see how many you can do in a row, I can do up to about 12 right now working up to 20. This leaves me VERY winded, sort of like a hill sprint does, added bonus is it works your quads out like crazy, same with your calves, abs, hams, it's just all around awesome.

Only you know how bad your knee is, but since you can squat I figure I'd offer the high jumps. If those are too challenging try burpees. Good luck.

bigbaldguy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Iniquity

Ummmm. My knee? five surgeries and I need a knee replacement. I was supposed have it done in October but chickened out and decided to wait another year. I can squat, but I use a plate loaded hack squat with a pad going all the way down the back. What I can't do in run or even walk for very long. I can go as long as I want on an elliptical or bike. I dont think I could do those high jumps. Thanks for the info. and I am going to try the tabata next monday when I officially am starting.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hold on, I fail to understand how your knee is too bad for sprinting but yet you're squatting heavy weight and dead lifting as well?

Your 100lb weight loss goal is going to come mostly from ditching all bad foods and enjoying primal fare, animals and vegetation, all day everyday.

HIIT on an elliptical or stationary bike:
    -warm up
    -20 second try to pedal as fast as you can, don't give up.
    -10 pedal much slower, catch your breath
    -20 kill yourself again

do that 8 times and you're done for that day's work. You should be literally DONE if you're pushing hard enough. That's called a "Tabata" and it's pretty demanding, you're a big guy, so be careful, I don't know how strong your heart is. Maybe try just doing half a Tabata (4 rounds of 20 second all-out bursts with 10 seconds rest in between)

Also, since you can squat, can you do high jumps?

Squat down (bodyweight only, no bars here) and explode up in a jump and tuck your knees in as you jump so that they come to your chest, or your belly, as you come down squat again (using the downward momentum) and explode up again. Use your toes and balls of your feet to gracefully come down, don't make it a big thud of a movement especially since your knee is a concern. Try to see how many you can do in a row, I can do up to about 12 right now working up to 20. This leaves me VERY winded, sort of like a hill sprint does, added bonus is it works your quads out like crazy, same with your calves, abs, hams, it's just all around awesome.

Only you know how bad your knee is, but since you can squat I figure I'd offer the high jumps. If those are too challenging try burpees. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12