Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spin off: hair removal, practical questions page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

Spin off: hair removal, practical questions

so, in reading the other thread about women, body hair, and society, i got curious about brazilian waxes. i learned about the sphinx, which is total hair removal, and that's something that has interested me for a *very long time*.

but, whenever i would get a basic bikini wax, i would get red bumps and ingrown hair and no one could tell me how to prevent that. so, i just gave up and decided to keep myself trimmed in a way that made me feel good, but made bathing suits hard to find. LOL

fast forward to yesterday, when i was looking at my 20% BF self, and nothing that in another week, i could easily be 19 or 18 even, and thinking that a bikini would be nice, rather than my racing suits. lol and so i start looking for bikinis, and the ones i like would require some hair removal.

with the wonders of the "internet" or "world wide web," i learned a fair bit about it. i really would like to give it a go, assuming that i can, in fact, avoid the horrible experience that is ingrown hairs.

so, tea tree oil and loofa in the daily cleaning to prevent rash and ingrown hairs. do they mean loofah-loofah as in the dried plant? or do they mean "loofah" as in the plastic poufs? or can i use just about anything such as a wash cloth or soft-bristled, natural brush?

coconut oil, i assume, would not go amiss either.

i don't want to over do it, but i do have a bit of spare cash right now (i bargain hunted my christmas list), and i thought i could use what i have (i'd have to get a tea tree oil moisturizer--any particular brands that any of you use?), and i have a wash cloth that i can use, so no worries there.

and of course, avoid pools, saunas, exercise, and "activities" for 24-28 hours.

any tips? anything i should ask the salons to make sure that they are quality? i don't know many women here, and i don't know whom i would feel ok asking "do you get a brazilian? if so, where?" it's a bit *too* brash considering the new nature of our relationships here. LOL but i can ask online, of course.

really, no advices?

strange. 15 reads and no help. i seriously just want to avoid any discomforts in aftercare. honestly.

and buy that bikini.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could help you, but, 1) I'm a guy, and 2) I take care of shaving down there myself, and have never had to worry about bumps.

Sorry.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Zoe: I don't have any hair removal answers for you, but as far as a good place to go: Do y'all have Yelp.com down there (or some sort of similar site where locals all post reviews of their experiences for any/everything from hair salons to the best Thai restaurant to locksmiths in your local town. I've never been let down by going with the highest rated shops on Yelp.

[yelp....wax job....hahah]
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

lol

i think there is a yelp or sort of yelp site. i'll have to look and see. Also, i remembered that i could ask my body-piercer friends *anything* because they are the best, and he works on all parts of anatomy all the time, and will likely be doing my hood piercing, so, it's not like it would be "out of bounds" to talk about it with them. I know that ester will know, since she's from here!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    hmm...never waxed. but i had to endure a month of bumpiness and ingrown hair before shaving=smooth. and i wouldn't put any oil or lotion on yourself until your hair follicles have shrunk a bit otherwise you might end up with folliculitis.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Not that I'm trying to talk you out of the brazilian, but it would be a very skimpy bikini indeed that wouldn't allow you to keep a wee triangle or racing stripe, yes?
    Personally, I'm a shaver too and I do everything except a triangle (or arrow, he-he ) over the mons pubis as I've found that is the only area where I will get that rash if I shave it. The LM and bikini line don't seem to suffer the same fate for some reason.
    Good luck with whatever you choose though, let us know how you like it

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    really, no advices?

strange. 15 reads and no help. i seriously just want to avoid any discomforts in aftercare. honestly.

and buy that bikini.
    I was looking for answers too!

I've tried shaving and I've tried waxing the lady business but like you I get the itchy red bumps and it just ISN'T worth it! But I DO kinda like it trimmed up down there. It looks a bit nicer and IS easier to keep clean but even just TRIMMING the hair with scissors makes me itch! So I don't do it. If anyone could explain ways to keep it from happening that would be awesome! And I've seen a few people mention that after a while the rashyness goes away. How does that work?

Any help WOULD be appreciated!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    well, i get red bumps and ingrown hairs from the bikini line waxes, and often even from shaving, so i'm trying to figure out if i really could do this. one of the salons that my friend recommended does a consultation, so i might be able to go and chat about it, and THEN make an appointment, so that i can gather up whatever i might need for aftercare.

i prefer the look of the whole thing done better than anything left behind. it's all about preferences. i've not done it because of the issue of the bumps/itchiness/pimples, etc. i've accepted that i might just have to go with well-trimmed. but, i think i would prefer to be . . .well, without. strangely enough.

and not because of men, women, or society.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast