Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spin off: hair removal, practical questions page 5

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Fwiw, I find chemical exfoliation vastly superior to physical exfoliation when it comes to prevention of ingrowns.

AHA's (lactic, glycolic, mandelic, malic etc...)
    BHA (salicylic acid)
    Aspirin (acetylsaliyclic acid)

avoid exfoliants in an alchol base....use 'short contact therapy' if necessary for tolerance. Daily or twice daily application is better than every few days.....this is where short contact therapy can be helpful - ie making tolerable the more frequent applications of the exfoliants.

I *love* using aspirin combined with sour cream or full fat yogurt as an exfoliant. Skin really does feel divine after it's application.
    Hey Cillakat, how long do you leave the aspirin/sour cream combo on for and is it ok to use if you're prone to eczema? Thanks

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexi View Post
    decided to buy an IPL machine. That way I can do it in the privacy of my home and it keeps the cost down.
    I completely agree. I have a Tria IPL and it really works well. Yes it takes some effort but then once it's done it's done permanently. Also I agree that hair removal is kind of too personal to be left to a someone other than me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    ok, so, i am bumping this because i got my wax yesterday.

i twas not with the lady i'd originally chosen, but DH bought me a gift voucher and overall it was a beneficial and positive experience. i'm not unhappy with it.

but, i'm having some issues. first -- the red bumps. looks like blood filled follicles, and i assume that will go away. i got it done yesterday afternoon, btw (finished by 3 pm), and it is now 10:30 am the next morning.

i feel like i have a sun burn down there. it's pink, but no longer swollen, and of course, red bumps around the edges. i was told to exfoliate this morning, and i did, and *ouch* -- felt like sun burn plus chemical burn (and i've had one on my face from a facial gone wrong).

i think that either A. the wax burned me (it did feel very hot when she put it on and i let her know), or B. there were chemicals in there that might have burned me. And of course, i did exfoliate, but OUCH. and so i put some aloe on afterwards which felt a bit better.

anyone have a similar experience? Any advice on how to handle the burn (chemical or heat burn)? looks like no fun for me for a few days, wearing underwear hurts. seriously. i'm wearing skirts only. and moving slowly.

anyway. . .advice? insight? experience?

red has gone down, now all of the little red bumps have become little white heads, and where the pink has gone away, i also have white heads. someone, please tell me something that i can do because *ouch*.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    (((Hugs))) I go CW, in this case.

I use a topical antibiotic cream with pain relief after waxing. (available at Safeway, don't know the kiwi equiv.) Tea tree and lavendar are too strong, IMO.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Zoe,
    There is something called a TRIA. It is a home laser hair removal device. Yep, they are kinda pricy and the laser treatments take some effort but then once it's done, it's done for life. No more razors, bumps, waxes, etc, ever.

I'm sure you will look gorgeous in your new bikini in any case.

edit: I just realized that this was that old thread come back to life and I had already put in this 2c worth
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Zoe,
    There is something called a TRIA. It is a home laser hair removal device. Yep, they are kinda pricy and the laser treatments take some effort but then once it's done, it's done for life. No more razors, bumps, waxes, etc, ever.
    Paleobird~ Have you used this yourself?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Paleobird~ Have you used this yourself?
    Yep, I am now hair free everywhere I want to be.

yeah, i wanted to see if i liked the look/feel before i do anything permanent or whatever.

i put on the triple antibiotic cream (no pain relief), then aloe (relief, brief), and then calendula oil (with the almond oil carrier). it's feeling better, but it will probably be a few days.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast