Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Spin off: hair removal, practical questions page 4

frances is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaveMan View Post
    Ever try the "No!No!" ?

It actually looks very promising. I'm considering purchasing it myself.

https://www.trynono.com/
    Got curious, and checked the reviews on amazon. People really HATE this product. 23 out of 35 people gave it one out of five stars.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexi View Post
    Suse,
    IPL and Laser are different. I was told that IPL has less side effects, that Laser can actually burn you etc.

Being dark haired and fair skinned I have had tremendous success with IPL - after 3 treatments my bikini line is almost hair free. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.
    oh well I guess I'm just one of those people that are resistant. dang. Or as I suggested, maybe the roots of my hairs really do go to china Am booked in for bikini wax tonight.... must remember to have large glass of wine first!

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    If you get waxed by a professional esthetician then you should ask them about maintenance in between waxing and removal of ingrown hairs. My mum is a beauty therapist/esthetician and is very knowledgeable and helpful about ingrown hairs. Most will take the time to remove them with needles or needle-nose tweezers if they are already mostly out of the skin.
    If you are worried about the pain: Take a few tylenol about an hour before you go in.
    If you are worried about the ingrown hairs/bumps: The main trick is to keep yourself super duper moisturized down there to keep the skin soft enough for hair to penetrate through. I recommend also exfoliating gloves and gently (very gently) buff your skin down there with every shower.
    After your wax, dont wear anything tight or clingy for about 24 hrs after in that area, meaning your bikini. There are also products on the market that claim to be for ingrown hair treatment. Some women have problems with skin inflammation or burns from using these.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    thanks earthspirit. that answers my question about the tylenol/ibprophen. i'm not at all worried about the pain of it. after multiple piercings in supposedly "horrifically painful" places and a tattoo, seriously, i don't think it will be an issue.

also, the lady that i'm going to (next month) does a lot with maintenance in between. she said that for first time clients, she actually books a "check up" for the next week to make sure everything is fine and that hairs are not becoming ingrown and so on. i'm really confident in her. and she's a relaly good price. just under market ($80 is market; she's $75 for the first one; $50 for maintaining, and $30 for the 'check up'). if there are no issues in the first week, then we can cancel or move the check up, and see how it goes. i'm really excited about it.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you found someone who really cares about her clients It makes a huge difference over someone who is just a rip the hair out and good luck hopefully i'll see u round.

CaptCaveMan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    Got curious, and checked the reviews on amazon. People really HATE this product. 23 out of 35 people gave it one out of five stars.
    Yeah, good call to check Amazon's reviews. Looks like it is a "no no" for the "no! no!"

r_squared02 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
    I tried this on my facial hair once as an experiment... Definately do a test spot! My face was bright red and irritated the next 3 days.

For me, the best way to shave is a double edge safety razor, unused fresh, and Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap lathered up and applied with a shaving brush.
    Oh yeah, I can't use it on my face for more than a couple of minutes, it always burns.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Fwiw, I find chemical exfoliation vastly superior to physical exfoliation when it comes to prevention of ingrowns.

AHA's (lactic, glycolic, mandelic, malic etc...)
    BHA (salicylic acid)
    Aspirin (acetylsaliyclic acid)

avoid exfoliants in an alchol base....use 'short contact therapy' if necessary for tolerance. Daily or twice daily application is better than every few days.....this is where short contact therapy can be helpful - ie making tolerable the more frequent applications of the exfoliants.

I *love* using aspirin combined with sour cream or full fat yogurt as an exfoliant. Skin really does feel divine after it's application.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    because i didn't get a lot of sleep last night, are you recommending the aspirin/yogurt or sour cream combo once or twice a day after?

or one of the other ones "over" that one?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    because i didn't get a lot of sleep last night, are you recommending the aspirin/yogurt or sour cream combo once or twice a day after?
    once in awhile...it's too much of a hassle to do daily or more as it needs to stay on for awhile.

or one of the other ones "over" that one?
    I'd suggest a serum, alcohol free toner, or lotion. Even SalAc or one of the glycolic cleansers would be good....applied to dry skin, wait a minute, add water, then rinse. For the others, apply and leave on if tolerable, or more likely rinse off (short contact therapy)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast