Purchase

LMX-4 (it's otc)
    cortisone cream
    baby wipes - small pack
    ibuprofen (motrin, advil, store brand)

Make Apt
    choose service provider based on recommendations from friends, yelp etc
    Timing is everything.
    plan for waxing around ovulation - a few days prior is ideal- ....you're significantly less sensitive to pain.

Prepare

1)timing is everything. plan for waxing around ovulation - a few days prior is ideal- ....you're significantly less sensitive to pain.
    2)trim everything you want waxed to about a 1/4 inch
    3)so an hour before:
    shower. thoroughly
    take 800 mg ibuprofen with enough food to protect your stomach. (a hb egg, marrow and/or nko are perfect - the phosophlipids bond with the ibuprofen which both makes it more effective and keeps it from damaging your gut.)
    4)dry off, apply several large pea sized blobs of LMX to every bit of your bikini area that will have hair removed....every bit. Use a mirror if necessary. Don't use more LMX...you absolutely can OD on lidocaine. It takes 60 minutes to reach max effect to reach max effect - so be meticulous with your timing
    5)sit or lay on towel on floor until it's very throughly dry. I usually wait about 10 minutes.
    6)gather baby wipes, cortisone and head in for the apt.

At the appointment
    when she leaves the room for you to undress, use baby wipes to wipe off any lmx residue and to freshen up.
    keep talking during waxing...use techniques like 'non-focused awareness' ....keep breathing slow and low. very slow and low.
    when she's finished, apply cortisone 1x fairly liberally.
    soreness is unlikely to persist after she's done....but a nice 'sensitive' sensation is present....good time for great sex

Follow up
    If you have have issues with ingrowns - or even if you never do - use bha or an rx retinoid once a week to encourage cell turnover and reduce the possibility of ingrowns.

Since it takes about 6 weeks for each hair to begin to grow back, weekly epilation will be removing only 1/6th of what you'd be pulling out normally. Thus, it's much less painful. Honestly, to me, it no longer hurts....it's just sensation. However, if I let it go past two weeks...ugh. It's not fun but now that I've been doing it a long time, I can manage it.

Mine - braun silk epil epilator:
    http://www.amazon.com/Braun-5270-Sil...5139156&sr=8-1

Also have heard great things about the panasonics:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ilator&x=0&y=0

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I've tried about 5 sessions of IPL and it made not a shred of difference. I have dark hair and fair skin, it should have made "some" difference in my opinion. And lets not mention the price... oh my god, so expensive for no change. grrr. I have strong coarse pubic hair that frankly I think has roots that go to china when I get waxed. I get the ingrowns, bumps, lumps everything. It's just a bloody pain in the arse frankly. I bought a special lotion that you apply to help with ingrowns. well cant say I noticed that much improvement, I've still got them and it makes your skin quite flaky in that area. I would love to know the answer to these problems.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    and specifically wrt ingrowns:

chemical exfoliation will be more helpful than physical.
    http://www.iherb.com/Devita-High-Per...-ml/23013?at=0
    http://www.amazon.com/Treatment-Sali...289379&sr=8-15

I tend to prefer 1/2 pea size of prescription retinoid, diluted in any random serum/lotion/water, applied to the area of hair removal....about once a week will do it generally.

Alternatively, more frequent, but not too frequent as to be irritating, applications of any BHA/salicylic acid toner/serum or AHA toner/serum will do the trick.

TTO isn't helpful for avoiding ingrowns. It can be effective where acne is an issue due to it's antimicrobial properties but ingrowns aren't a result of a bacteria (ie p acnes) but rather are simply a cell turnover issue.

Try to find the max rate at which you can apply your exfoliants wiithout causing irritation. I generally use something about once every other day. On my legs, I exfoliate daily with 'scrubby gloves'.

When I feel up to it, I exfoliate with a combo of sour cream [(or full fat yogurt)...lactic acid] and crushed aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). The result is divinely soft skin for a couple of weeks. An effective ratio is 1/4 tsp crushed aspirin per T sourcream/yogurt. More aspirin is fine too. To streamline the process, I generally grind a bottle of aspirin at a time in the coffee mill (in batches) then pour back into the aspirin bottle with a funnel made of a rolled peice of paper.

Just mix the aspirin and yogurt, apply, wait as long as you can, rinse in the shower.

Oh, and dry brushing is great for exfoliation...except for the bikini area
    Last edited by cillakat; 12-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I bought a special lotion that you apply to help with ingrowns. well cant say I noticed that much improvement, I've still got them and it makes your skin quite flaky in that area. I would love to know the answer to these problems.
    Why IPL and not laser? (IPL is less effective for hair removal)

What were you using that made your skin flaky? Rather than leaving it on, it might be more effective to use 'short contact therapy' - ie applying the topical, leaving it on for a minute, then rinsing it off. You still get much benefit but with much less irritation. You can also up the frequency. It may also be helpful to switch out the exfoliants - ie lactic v. BHA v. mandelic v. malic. v. azelaic v. glycolic v. rx retinoid....

http://www.realself.com/article/IPL.html
    IPL Hair Removal

If you have unwanted dark hair and you're sick of waxing, tweezing, and shaving, you may want to consider IPL. Light colored hair does not respond to IPL treatments. IPL hair removal works by delivering energy to the dark hair follicle. The energy heats up the follicle and eventually destroys the hair-growing structure. That said, according to the UK Department of Health, IPL does not provide permanent hair removal. Laser hair removal may offer better results.
    IPL Hair Removal vs. Laser Hair Removal

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, lasers can work broader areas of skin than IPL. As a result, IPL hair removal is often more time consuming and costly than laser hair removal. This may explain why you'll find dozens of laser hair removal centers in your area with constant advertised discounts and relatively few IPL hair removal providers.
    K

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    thanks C.

ok, so, here is what i am thinking.

cycle-wise, i'm in the early phase of fertility, ovulation should happen by the end of the week (saturday/sunday) when i head out of town on our vacation. on friday, i'm completely booked, but i could do it *early* on saturday if there is an appointment, otherwise i'd have to do it tomorrow afternoon.

i don't use ibprophen and stuff--i assume it's to reduce inflammation to the area, and not meant to be a pain reducer per se? i don't really think pain is the issue for me, btu if it helps with swelling/reactivity of that sort, then i'll ask for some from a friend (since we don't keep any). does it take an hour to get into the system to have an effect?

i take it that the cortisone cream is to reduce inflammation of the site as well.

i assume that the lidocaine cream is to help with pain, and nothing else. i really don't think that's necessary for me; i don't expect it to be too painful, and i have a really high threshold anyway. but, is there another purpose?

of those various exfoliation processes, the aspirin/yogurt combo would be easiest for me to get ahold of, and least expensive, as i'm not too "up" on drug stores these days, or what to look for, or what have you. honestly, i get overwhelmed in the grocery store (5 years of mostly direct-from-farm, farmer's markets, and farm stands will do that to you!). could i "just" do this one every few days or so to start, and then go to once a week as we go, and so on?

Also, this lady is really cool. spent about 30 minutes talking with her, and she said that she does "check ups" each week after your first brazilian for free, to make sure that you aren't in pain, that there are no reactions to look out for, and to tweeze anything that may be growing in. It also gives her a clear sense of what the hair growth rate is, and when to schedule the appointments, and how long those appointments may be (depending upon hair type, skin type, type of wax or sugar used, and so on). she *really* knows her stuff. She might also have a toner that i can use, but we'll talk about that at the first appointment.

she's holding it for me for tomorrow afternoon and also for saturday morning, but i ahve to get back t her. otherwise, we wait a month.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    so, i'm waiting a month. talked with DH about it, and he figures that between the 20000 things we have to do before we go on vacation for two weeks (saturday), and the tribunal on friday --wherein i do not want to be stating my case while simultaneously trying not to scratch should anything happen down there-- and the fact that vacay will likely be sexless because we'll be sharing a room with my aunt (who is cool, and would give us privacy, but still), we just figure it will be more enjoyable when we get back from vacation. it will still be summer.

more fun that way, i think.

CaptCaveMan is offline Member
    Ever try the "No!No!" ?

It actually looks very promising. I'm considering purchasing it myself.

https://www.trynono.com/

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OMG, this is all so complicated and, and .... bleeding?! ripping hairs from inner labia?! This is madness!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Why IPL and not laser? (IPL is less effective for hair removal)

What were you using that made your skin flaky? Rather than leaving it on, it might be more effective to use 'short contact therapy' - ie applying the topical, leaving it on for a minute, then rinsing it off. You still get much benefit but with much less irritation. You can also up the frequency. It may also be helpful to switch out the exfoliants - ie lactic v. BHA v. mandelic v. malic. v. azelaic v. glycolic v. rx retinoid....

http://www.realself.com/article/IPL.html

K
    well I understood IPL was laser? so now i"m even more confused. and of course I was told it was supposed to be effective but as I say after 5 treatments there was no difference really. I was using a salicylic acid type toner product, it didnt irritate my skin per se, just makes it flaky. I suppose I could rinse after using it but not sure what the point of that would be, surely the idea is for the skin to slough off. Maybe i need to use my scrubby glove more often.

Flexi is offline Member
    Suse,
    IPL and Laser are different. I was told that IPL has less side effects, that Laser can actually burn you etc.

Being dark haired and fair skinned I have had tremendous success with IPL - after 3 treatments my bikini line is almost hair free. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast