Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spin off: hair removal, practical questions page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i was recommended a second salon--friend of my friend's salon--and i'm really interested. the consultation there is free, the woman is from brazil, and she uses the traditional "honey-wax" (bees wax plus some oils) and also body sugaring depending upon skin type, regrowth, etc. also, her prices are great, and she has a whole lot of educational information she gives on how to take care of it, to avoid issues with bumps, etc, for people with "sensitive" skin.

i'm definitely going to give her a call!

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I would be curious to see how it goes. I am not nearly brave enough for a total brazillian since, from what I have read, they take hair from EVERYWHERE down there...and have you get in all types of positions to get it.

Carrie

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Zoebird~
    Good luck with the waxing! I'm saving for laser hair removal--my hair grows back too quickly to make waxing worth it.

r_squared02 is offline Member
    Do you have Magic Shaving Powder there? The best kind is in a gold can. It's purpose in life is for men's facial hair, but it works really nicely for other purposes, lol. It's important to test a spot of skin first of course, but make it into a paste and slather it on. Wait 10 minutes, remove with some type of plastic edge...I usually use an old Visa giftcard! Rinse off. Super smooth, no bumps. It is super important not to use soap right afterwards and do not under any circumstances try using it again before 48 hours. Trust me...ouch.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    First of all, let me encourage you to go on will the Brazilian! It is amazing. Seriously. If I had the money, I would always be bare, because I think it's that worth it. Also, the parts that you would expect to hurt (inner labia, rectal, etc) I found hurt far less than the stuff you normally get off with a regular bikini wax.

Ok, for tips I have VERY sensitive skin, and when I tried shaving I got all those ingrown hairs and bumps you talked about. For waxing though, I got a good recommendation from a friend with sensitive skin and I had no problems. I think the quality of the wax job is far more important than your own personal care, though I did use Aquaphor afterward.

My recommendation is to have the salon you choose do a test strip a day before you want to schedule your Brazilian to see see how much you bleed/break out afterward. This should also give you a good idea if they are using appropriate techniques. For instance, they shouldn't be pulling the strips up and away from your body (so that the strip is perpendicular to your body) they should be pulling it back over itself so that it is parallel with your body (I hope that makes sense).

Good luck!

Flexi is offline Member
    Look at IPL - that is supposedly even better than Laser Hair Removal. I found a great deal on www.wahanda.com (3 sessions for 89.00) and after having my sessions decided to buy an IPL machine (250). That way I can do it in the privacy of my home and it keeps the cost down.

WoW (word of warning): Laser and IPL work best on fair skin and dark hair. True blonds are the least likely to see results.

stephm071 is offline Junior Member
    Hey I know a lot of places use different types of wax. I wish I could tell you which ones are better, but I know when I used to have this done my waxer always preferred one kind over another as it caused less issues down there. The other thing just to bring up, if this is something you are going to have done regularly you should look at laser. I found out I was spending a fortune monthly to do this when I could have had it lasered and done with. It takes a few times at first and then you just have to get touch ups, but it ends up being so much cheaper if you are waxing on a consistent basis.

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r_squared02 View Post
    Do you have Magic Shaving Powder there? The best kind is in a gold can. It's purpose in life is for men's facial hair, but it works really nicely for other purposes, lol. It's important to test a spot of skin first of course, but make it into a paste and slather it on. Wait 10 minutes, remove with some type of plastic edge...I usually use an old Visa giftcard! Rinse off. Super smooth, no bumps. It is super important not to use soap right afterwards and do not under any circumstances try using it again before 48 hours. Trust me...ouch.
    I tried this on my facial hair once as an experiment... Definately do a test spot! My face was bright red and irritated the next 3 days.

For me, the best way to shave is a double edge safety razor, unused fresh, and Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap lathered up and applied with a shaving brush.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I get such bad ingrowns and bumps from shaving, but never from waxing. (Other than initial redness.) I haven't splurged since I had kids, but I have been tempted with the new bod (similar to your story Zoebird, feeling more confident, but bathingsuits require grooming!) I go home, cleanse with witch hazel and then massage in a bit of coconut oil. Then I wear something soft like yoga pants or a skirt and NO underwear, as rubbing on the irritated skin causes sores/chafing type issues. All good by the next day!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it seems that people have a lot of different 'tricks' so it's good to have a nice list.

considering how long it takes my hair to grow (at least on my legs, underarms, etc), i think i would be able to maintain it with every-other month appointments, which cuts down on costs. but, i wouldn't go with LHR until i know that it's how i want to look permanently, you know? i like having options. LOL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast