Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut palm sugar page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

No, it's not because maltose isn't. On a price per unit of sweetness, it's expensive. But if you hardly ever use it, fine with me. About half of the calories are non-sugar complex carbs. So, the whole thing has a real low GI and GL. Good for the long haul, I would guess if one was cardio-ing.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Pellegrina - I'm not sure what the answer is to sweetening your morning coffee. If you find a satisfactory one, let me know! I think I've looked at coconut sugar before and after reading the nutrition label put it back because, in it's basic form, it's sugar.

Lately I've been using plain ol' honey. Sugar, yes. Natural, yes. Oi, the conundrum! But I just use a little bit and hope the splurge won't derail me. If you add a little cinnimon and cream in with it...mahvelous!

glahidin is offline Junior Member
    Greetings,

I am producing 100% organic natural palm sugar in the form of grain sugar; in Indonesia.
    There are four types (in color) of palm sugar:
    Brown
    Light Brown
    Blonde
    Nearly White (cane sugar/refined sugar like color)

Nearly white type exception: the taste and aroma is different than the other three, taste almost like a refined sugar would taste.

If you are interested with our product, please do contact me.

e-mail: glahidin@gmail.com

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I bought some blonde granulated coconut palm sugar, sweet tree brand. It has a pleasant mild brown sugar flavor. I've only used it to make custard (duck eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla), and it seemed very sweet. I will use less next time. So I'm counting it as a better version of sugar, for those occasional times when I want to use a little sugar.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is sugar. Stop trying to rationalize it.

Use Stevia.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There's no need to rationalize sugar at all.

1 tsp of sugar has 4.2 grams carbs, all of which are from sugar.

1 oz banana has 6.5 grams carbs, of which 3.4 grams are from sugar.

So yes, sugar is sugar. Just like you wouldn't load your body just with bananas even though they're primal, you shouldn't load your body with processed sugar. And I don't necessarily agree that one should jumpstart one's day with sugar. Still and all, a teaspoon of sugar once in awhile isn't going to kill you.

I use an artificial sweetener, but to me, Stevia tastes as bad as the saccharin tablets my grandmother used to put in her coffee.

Also, this is a three year old thread that was bumped up by someone trying to sell sugar.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    There's no need to rationalize sugar at all.

1 tsp of sugar has 4.2 grams carbs, all of which are from sugar.

1 oz banana has 6.5 grams carbs, of which 3.4 grams are from sugar.

So yes, sugar is sugar. Just like you wouldn't load your body just with bananas even though they're primal, you shouldn't load your body with processed sugar. And I don't necessarily agree that one should jumpstart one's day with sugar. Still and all, a teaspoon of sugar once in awhile isn't going to kill you.

I use an artificial sweetener, but to me, Stevia tastes as bad as the saccharin tablets my grandmother used to put in her coffee.

Also, this is a three year old thread that was bumped up by someone trying to sell sugar.
    Have you ever considered why bananas are "primal"? You seem to be following it ignorantly. It's because they are a whole food, with fiber and nutrients. It spikes insulin much less than just sugar. Comparing the sugar in bananas, with refined sugar, gram per gram, makes little sense.

It is rationalizing it. "Omg Coconut palm sugar is natural and it has the word coconut in it! It must be so much better than regular sugar!"

Amanda Grok is offline Junior Member
    Bosnic

There's no need to get nasty. People are allowed different points of view.

I discovered coconut sugar today. The way I see it, there's very little difference between coconut sugar and other natural sweeteners like honey. And when it comes to baking (which I love to do), sometimes you don't want the stickiness and wetness that comes with using honey.

In general too much sugar is bad for you. In small amounts every now and then, it's really not that bad.

I'd also like to know why stevia is so much better than coconut sugar? However if you're going to rip into me because of my differing view point, don't bother replying please.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Bos is a purest. He thinks people who eat rice are delusional, and I'm ignorant. No big.

It would be hard to compare the bananas and the table sugar (and I'm using the worst form of sugar here) in the coffee scenario because the amounts people use are so different. IOW, one rarely eats only an ounce of banana, and an ounce of table sugar would be about 7 teaspoons - I'm hoping no one interested in health is putting 7 teaspoons of sugar in anything first thing in the morning. (Might as well go back to cereal.)

So, I'll give the banana the benefit of the doubt and compare that one ounce to a teaspoon of sugar. From here: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sugars, granulated [sucrose] and here: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bananas, raw

you can see that the glycemic index for the teaspoon of sugar is 3 and the one ounce of banana is 2. So the insulin spike is not that terrible for a teaspoon of sugar. The problem is that when we eat processed foods with hidden sugars we start to spin out of control. Add HFCS to the mix and we're killing ourselves.

So, ounce for ounce, of course the banana is the better food by far, but because they are such different foods in the way we use them and specifically in this instance as an add in to the morning java, I don't think a teaspoon of sugar is going to kill anyone.

As to stevia, it has a good reputation here, but I have a box of it sitting in my cabinet and I think it tastes nasty. I use an artificial sweetener that isn't approved. Here are links to two of Mark's blog posts on artificial sweeteners:

On the Question of Sweeteners | Mark's Daily Apple
    Do Artificial Sweeteners Cause an Insulin Spike? | Mark's Daily Apple

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Ok but what about the article that Mark wrote, or maybe it's in the book about natural sweetners actually tricking the brain. Therefore the brain goes to look for calories that it got fooled into thinking it received? From what I gathered about it was, artificial sweetners aren't that much better.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013