Thread: Question about statins page

max219 is offline Senior Member

Question about statins

Shop Now
    Ok, I'm only 19 and don't know much about statins, but I've heard that they don't work and are a scam etc. (I know that cholesterol levels don't matter). Anyway, my grandma had high cholesterol, and as I was trying to explain how cholesterol doesn't really matter and statins are a scam, she said that a statin called crestor lowered her cholesterol from high 200s to mid 100s. I don't know how to explain statins are a waste when she says that.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Check out Griff's cholesterol primer and the Heartscan Blog.
    My take on statins is this. Its kind of like painting your grass green. Sure it looks good but it doesn't mean your lawn is healthy.
    Calm the f**k down.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that you will be able to convince your grandmother because the medical profession is so obsessed with cholesterol and giving statins that I'm sure her doctor has 'brainwashed' her.

Statins are great--for the miniscule segment of the population that has genetically high cholesterol. These are the young men who dropped dead of heart attacks in their early 30s. One of my friends takes statins because 1) his father had a heart attack and died at 36; 2) he is very slim and fit--and at age 33, his cholesterol was tested in the high 400s. He is now in his late 50s and doing great in terms of health and fitness.

Having developed statins for this small group, Big Pharma naturally wanted to market them to as many people as possible!
    In order to promote statins, the drug industry has 'medicalized' all sorts of numbers that are just fine--and ignored the research that shows they don't help women at all.

The total number is cholesterol is meaningless. For example, my own cholesterol is always flagged as 'high,' but that's mainly because my HDL is about 95 (my endo is jealous:-), and although my LDL is 125, and the lab insists it should be under 100, I've had a VAP test, and my LDL is 100% Pattern A--which is good and heart protective! My trigs are always about 50. So the 'high' reading on lab reports is totally dumb--and I have to keep reminding my doctors of this because they all have a knee-jerk reacton to the lab report!

Even someone as informed as I try to be has to constantly ward off the nincompoops who push statins, so most people who just follow their doctor's advice have no chance.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Ok, I'm only 19 and don't know much about statins, but I've heard that they don't work and are a scam etc. (I know that cholesterol levels don't matter). Anyway, my grandma had high cholesterol, and as I was trying to explain how cholesterol doesn't really matter and statins are a scam, she said that a statin called crestor lowered her cholesterol from high 200s to mid 100s. I don't know how to explain statins are a waste when she says that.
    Max,

Watch this Video, FATHEAD for the complete answer to your question.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

It is 1 hr 40 minutes long. WELL worth the time to watch it.

Bottom line, cholesterol is NOT the problem, and cholesterol is good, not bad. The movie shows that the problem is a high carb diet, and that saturated animal fats are healthy.

My favorite doctor discusses statins:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...t-lipitor.html
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=statins
    Bottom line: Fix the diet & toss the statins.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I doubt that you will be able to convince your grandmother because the medical profession is so obsessed with cholesterol and giving statins that I'm sure her doctor has 'brainwashed' her.

Statins are great--for the miniscule segment of the population that has genetically high cholesterol. These are the young men who dropped dead of heart attacks in their early 30s. One of my friends takes statins because 1) his father had a heart attack and died at 36; 2) he is very slim and fit--and at age 33, his cholesterol was tested in the high 400s. He is now in his late 50s and doing great in terms of health and fitness.

Having developed statins for this small group, Big Pharma naturally wanted to market them to as many people as possible!
    In order to promote statins, the drug industry has 'medicalized' all sorts of numbers that are just fine--and ignored the research that shows they don't help women at all.

The total number is cholesterol is meaningless. For example, my own cholesterol is always flagged as 'high,' but that's mainly because my HDL is about 95 (my endo is jealous:-), and although my LDL is 125, and the lab insists it should be under 100, I've had a VAP test, and my LDL is 100% Pattern A--which is good and heart protective! My trigs are always about 50. So the 'high' reading on lab reports is totally dumb--and I have to keep reminding my doctors of this because they all have a knee-jerk reacton to the lab report!

Even someone as informed as I try to be has to constantly ward off the nincompoops who push statins, so most people who just follow their doctor's advice have no chance.
    +1
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine