Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seasoning cast iron, Olive Oil vs Vegetable oil page

morrissey is offline Junior Member

seasoning cast iron, Olive Oil vs Vegetable oil

holla
    I just got some new cast iron pans and am trying to take care of them. Everything I am reading is that Vegetable oil is better to season the pans with then Oilive Oil, due to the fact olive oil has a higher chance of going rancid. Since I [or we] dont use vegetable oil, do you think seasons the pans with it will somehow transfer all its negative processed qualities to my food while cooking?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

being.amanda is offline Junior Member
    i have my great-grandmothers cast iron pans and im in love with them. they are the only things i cook with- very well loved and very well seasoned after almost 100 years of use. my grat grandma was a homesteader and farmer in colorado, so these pans have seen their fare share of lard over the century, too. even though they are well broken in, i find i have to reseason them a few times a year, especially if someone inadvertently washes them (a big no-no! dont let these babies see any soap EVER, and water only if you cant avoid it! just clean them by wiping them out with a cloth or paper towel.)

i actually use lard to season. vegetable oil is definitely better than oiive oil, but it can leave a sticky residue. but, if you cant get lard or bacon grease, vegetable oil works well in a pinch. coat the pan everywhere, stick it in a 300 degree oven for ten or fifteen minutes, take it out and wipe out the excess fat then put it back in and bake it for a few hours at that same temperature. if you do it a couple of times in a row, it will be perfect, but if you only have time for once, that is perfectly fine, too. the first time you season it, do as through a job as you can though and you will be happier. you dont have to use high quality lard for this stuff- i use the store bought and save my pastured fresh pork lard from the farm for eating. the fat just bakes into the iron making it a nonstick surface- you dont cook with the oil that was used to season the pan, so if you have to use veggie oil, dont worry about it. this seasoning process isnt something you do very often anyway. the fat you use for subsequent cooking will just reinforce the seasoning and keep it going strong. i find that when my food starts to stick, just cooking up some bacon will bring it back to the good shiny seasoned nonstickiness.

your cast iron pan will become like an extension of your own arm after you have cooked with it for a while! i dont know what i would do without mine! you are going to love it!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    I like to cook things in lard or coconut oil.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Yup, lard.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    +1 on lard. See what Dr. M D Eades said about it ...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd_blo...ll-they-learn/

morrissey is offline Junior Member
    thanks everyone for your help. I did some more googling and found people are using bacon grease too, so I got to make some bacon this morning in the skillet and its seasoning as we speak, 2 more hours to go.

also, looks like Lodge is having a holiday sale on select items!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Use coconut oil or bacon fat. Or lard.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The last word on cast iron seasoning: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

urbansix is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does one season the entire pan, inside and out, or just the inside cooking surfaces?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast