Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soy milk page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Soy milk

Primal Fuel
    Is soy milk something that could go in the 20%?

I prefer it to cow's milk - just the smell of moo juice makes my stomach turn!

I had a soy milk latte for the first time in ages the other day, and forgot how much I missed it!

Until Starbucks start steaming coconut milk it's my only choice.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't touch soy milk. I despise the taste and knowing that it's not good for you seals the deal for me.

Starbucks hasn't felt any demand for coconut milk and probably will never take it up, you could bring your own and they'll steam it for you. You could probably even save money that way.

See that's the thing, I really do genuinley like the taste of it - the unsweetened stuff too, I find sweetened too sweet!

What a pity. I do take coconut milk to work but can't be carrying it round everywhere. Maybe a primal hipflask is in order?

I'm being a bad board member because I don't feel like searching up any articles on soy milk for you but everything I've ever read regarding soy milk specifically has been bad. I know Mark had a post detailing all soy products and fermented soy products like miso soup and the soy bean itself (edamame) was deemed somewhat safe.

However, if this isn't a daily indulgence I guess there's worse things you could be doing. As a male, I worry about anything messing with my testosterone.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I wouldn't touch soy milk. I despise the taste and knowing that it's not good for you seals the deal for me.

Starbucks hasn't felt any demand for coconut milk and probably will never take it up, you could bring your own and they'll steam it for you. You could probably even save money that way.
    Really? Starbucks will steam anything people bring into the store? I'm surprised there's not some concern on hygiene with that. But I'm thrilled if it's possible...my twice-weekly cappucino habit has been the hardest part of giving up dairy. Tea at Starbucks just isn't the same as a nice frothy cup of coffee.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Unfermented soy is liquid cancer.

And to paraphrase the great Lewis Black, "It's soy juice. There's no soy milk because there's no soy tit."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Looks like a unaminous 'Nay!' - black it is, then!

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Really? Starbucks will steam anything people bring into the store? I'm surprised there's not some concern on hygiene with that. But I'm thrilled if it's possible...my twice-weekly cappucino habit has been the hardest part of giving up dairy. Tea at Starbucks just isn't the same as a nice frothy cup of coffee.
    I have a couple of friends that work at Starbucks, different locations, and they all say you can bring in your own milk, cup, etc and they'll make you whatever drink you're looking to get. Obviously they don't take responsibility for taste. Also, they have to clean the steaming nozzle after every use as well as the tin they use to steam the milk and such. You know what always works? saying you have an allergy, they'll take the extra time to make sure they clean and not just re-use.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's horribly estrogenic, besides the anti-nutrients. Lierre Keith's book detailed with feeling all the bad stuff in it and what it does to people. Estrogenic (like taking birth control pills), anti-nutrients, and it ruins memory, especially when vegans are trying to depend on it as a protein source. Plus most of it is genetically modified by the evil geniuses at Monsanto. And it's all processed so thoroughly that any nutrition which got through the other problems is totally denatured. Her description of the factory process needed to turn soybeans to soy milk or textured soy protein was horrific.

Remember that tofu is not fermented, and only fermentation offers any protection at all.

Lierre pointed out that in Chinese, the ideograms for wheat and for rice showed the plant, but for soybeans, it showed the root.
    Ancient Chinese didn't eat the soybeans except in a famine. They used the plant's nitrogen-fixing to restore fertility to their grain fields.

Is there some reason you need to drink something milky? Just straight tea won't do? Or coffee with some coconut oil added?

My sister uses pemmican as a snack to keep going when it's hard to take time for a meal. There's a company which makes it.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Lierre pointed out that in Chinese, the ideograms for wheat and for rice showed the plant, but for soybeans, it showed the root.
    Ancient Chinese didn't eat the soybeans except in a famine. They used the plant's nitrogen-fixing to restore fertility to their grain fields.
    Now THAT is interesting!! That's something I can use when I talk to Japanese friends about soy.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast