Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psoriasis after conversion to primal page

Riesjart is offline Junior Member

Psoriasis after conversion to primal

Shop Now
    Hi, since going primal I developed psoriasis (I think) on my right lower leg only. It did not start until, after a period of 6-12 months. All the symptoms seem to match, so I am quite confident it is actually psoriasis, which I have never had before!
    I take 4000IU vit D3/d, no zinc as a supplement only as nutrient in the food I eat. I also take omega3 supplements.
    I stick rather well to the diet; I do not eat any grains, dairy; only greek yoghurt and creme fraiche, some cheese. I take a lot of vegetables, no fruits besides a few berries in my desert quite often. I eat eggs; some 3-4 daily of the omega3-enriched kind.

Has anyone experienced the same? Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Richard
    Last edited by Riesjart; 12-12-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Grizz is offline Banned
    Riesjart,

1) IMO, 4,000 IU Vitamin D3 is not nearly enough. Prove this with a blood test ASAP. Your reading should be optimal at 60 to 70 ng/ml. Because Psoriasis is an Autoimmune Disease, Vitamin D3 is your 1st line of defense. IMO, 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 gellcaps or more is required in your case.

2) Rub Coconut Oil oil into you affected skin areas and take a tablespoon a day internally. Since psoriasis is also a form of inflammation it can easily be treated with omega 3 supplementation by taking a good quality fish or krill oil which has natural anti inflammatory properties via the omega 3's.

3) The health of skin and nails is maintained by the vitamin A within the body, the mineral zinc also promotes healing in damaged nails and skin-both of these nutrients must be supplement on a regular and long term basis in the treatment of psoriasis.

4) Read the book, 'Healing psoriasis: the natural alternative' by Dr Pagano.

5) Stay away from alcohol, and some report that dairy contributes to psoriasis

* Home Test Kits, 25(OH)D Blood Level should be 60-70 ng/ml
    ZrtLabs at home testing kit $65
    http://www.zrtlab.com/vitamindcouncil/
    Lab Corp Testing at nearby lab $50
    http://www.saveonlabs.com/products/V...2dHydroxy.html
    Quest Corp Tests Divide by 1.3 to get correct reading
    http://www.lanisimpson.com/2009/01/2...tamin-d-tests/

Also see this:
    http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/psoriasis.htm

Please keep us informed of your progress on these tips,
    Grizz

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Please see a dermatologist. Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease, and it is not 'healed' by diet--unless there's a trigger food that is inciting the break out, and that often happens. Identifying the trigger food can be difficult--if there is one.

My sister developed psoriasis suddenly at age 55. However, she also has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, another auto-immune disease. If you have one auto-immune disease, you are prone to others. Her psoriasis has resisted all treatments, but she's found that it flares up with any stress (she has a very stressful job). It is a very complex disorder.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Please see a dermatologist. Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease, and it is not 'healed' by diet--unless there's a trigger food that is inciting the break out, and that often happens. Identifying the trigger food can be difficult--if there is one.

My sister developed psoriasis suddenly at age 55. However, she also has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, another auto-immune disease. If you have one auto-immune disease, you are prone to others. Her psoriasis has resisted all treatments, but she's found that it flares up with any stress (she has a very stressful job). It is a very complex disorder.
    Emmie,
    The Vitamin D Deficiency is THE leading cause of autoimmune disease, including the dreaded Multiple Scleroses . Please be certain your sister is tested for optimal Vitamin D blood level ASAP.

Best to you and your sister,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-12-2010 at 04:35 AM.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    i've heard a few people say the apple cider vinegar daily(a tablespoon ina glass of warm water) cleared theirs up. sounds like hogwash to me, but they swear by it.

being.amanda is offline Junior Member
    grizz, please dont say that vitamin D is the cause of MS, because its not. and please dont call it the "dreaded MS" because many of us who have it dont feel that way. autoimmune diseases are complex and there are many unknowns- no one claims to know the cause or the cure. we are only just scratching the surface. if MS was caused simply by a vitamin D deficiency, then that would be the cure. many people with MS do have low serum D levels, and many of us supplement our diet with it in pretty high doses, but many of us also continue to experience exacerbations, decline in function and symptoms despite dietary interventions. there is no doubt that a high fat/low carb/no grain diet has improved my symptoms, but it has NOT cured my MS.

riesjart, i would also see a derm and try some of the above mentioned natural remedies, too. direct UV exposure can also help with the symptoms. sticking with paleo and upping the omega 3 supplementation may help as well. i dont often see it mentioned here, but yoga and meditation can also be instrumental in dampening an inflammatory response, so maybe thats something to try if you dont already. best of luck.
    Last edited by being.amanda; 12-12-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Great, thanks to all of you for your advice. I will raise my D3-intake to 10K IU for a few weeks and then I will report my findings after that. The thing I am asking myself is; how could I have never had this before and only after I improved upon my diet and health (-13kgs) I notice this 'new' disease.

anne is offline Member
    I developed psoriasis (or something very similar, none of the doctors that had a look at it was really sure) when I was 20 years old and had it for 5 years during which it got continuously worse until I figured out what was causing it. In case you are also so lucky to find such a nice and competent doctor as I did: do not believe him when he tells you that it is chronic and that there is nothing you can do about it. The way I thought about it was: I never had these problems before so there has to be something that is causing them which means I can also fix them. It's all just a matter of time.

In my case, the problem was triggered by an undiagnosed sorbitol malabsorption and since I ate tons of fruits with a high sorbitol content things were of course not getting any better. I stopped eating them and my skin cleared up within a couple of weeks. Today, I don't have to be 100% strict about it and my problems still don't return. I've had the sorbitol malabsorption probably since I was born (in retrospect it all made sense... ) but some other issues had thrown me out of balance (I suddenly had severe acne and received medication for it which made things even worse) and suddenly, it started to be a problem.

During that time, I visited a lot of psoriasis related forums which I would also recommend to you; otherwise I would have never had the idea to request a test for sorbitol malabsorption and maybe you could find some interesting input there as well. Unfortunately, I remember that many claimed that eating a diet free of animal protein (but including grains) fixed their problems for them. I know that this theory will not be popular here but I wanted to mention it for the sake of completeness.

Another thing that helps me is eating walnuts. This might not only be because of contained omega 3 fatty acids: from what I've heard, linoleic acid (which is an omega 6 one) can also help with skin problems. But they provide just a little improvement, no real solution.

Fleshetarian is offline Junior Member

He/she who self diagnoses has a quack for a doctor

With all respect to the learned and heated debate about Riesjart's psoriasis, please note that his/her condition was self-diagnosed. Furthermore, Riesjart has no history, experience or personal knowledge of this condition.
    Skin conditions can be confusing, mimic each other, and often difficult to diagnose. Riesjart, before taking any action, whether medical, nutritional, or otherwise, see a good dermatologist, and get a proper diagnosis.

Anne, thanks for the comprehensive account of your experiences, I will give the forums a try. I wonder if the addition of a certain food might have led to this. In that case the most notable one will be the coconut milk and coconut oil I eat those a lot. But that would not make a lot of sense would it?

Fleshetarian and Emmie, I will take your advice to heart and I will see my doctor this week, I will update in this thread when I have been diagnosed.

In the meantime I will continue to keep the vit D intake at the suggested value.

Thanks again for your interest!

Richard, btw I'm a guy, Riesjart is a kind of a phonetic synonym

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast