Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fats / Oils for someone with high food sensitivies page

gfcfmom is offline Junior Member

Fats / Oils for someone with high food sensitivies

Hi all ... I am new to this but loving all that I am reading. My 5 year old son has tremendous food allergies and sensitivities. His diet has slowly morphed into a paleo style diet and my brother turned me onto the PB. Now my question is, my son is allergic to all nuts and seeds, he seems okay with olive oil which is what I have been cooking with for him but an MRT test shows a hidden food allergy to olive oil too. Can anyone suggest another "safe for high cooking oil" as well as any other sources of fat for him?

Here is what he CAN NOT have when it comes to fats:
    Seeds - anaphylactic to sunflower especially
    Nuts - anaphylactic to cashew especially
    Dairy/Soy -

His doctor would like him to have a high protein, calorie dense breakfast. I am doing GFCF Nitrate free organic hot dogs, organic nitrate free ham, organic chicken breast, organic nitrate free turkey bacon, kind of just rotating through these cooked in olive oil ... is this enough fat though? Rest of the day he would only get a little more olive oil depending on what I've cooked.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Michele

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you have access to grass fed beef tallow, lard, or coconut oil? You could cook his food in these fats. You could also add coconut oil, or cocobutter to smoothies.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, does coconut qualify as an allergen for him? Google tells me it isn't the same as a tree nut allergy, although people can have a separate allergy to it.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil isn't safe for high-heat cooking either. Render bacon fat and use it, and go buy a tub of lard from the local Mexican carniceria. Get coconut oil - I buy mine from amazon.com and have it delivered. And buy butter - it's one of the best fats available.
    Last edited by Griff; 12-12-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Ditto - for high heat, I use bacon grease or coconut oil or sometimes butter (mainly for eggs). I use olive oil for salads mainly. Good luck!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Have you got him on cod liver oil? Also he may need some gut work - probiotics etc.

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned he can not have coconut either, it also causes a histamine reaction for him.

Yes, he is on cod liver oil and probiotics. Definitely gut issues here!!

Thanks again. Any other ideas besides coconut for healthy fats given the food allergies?

: ) Michele

What about avocado oil .... would this be a good enough fat? It's quite difficult with a restricted diet like this.

Thanks.

Michele

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfcfmom View Post
    Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned he can not have coconut either, it also causes a histamine reaction for him.

Yes, he is on cod liver oil and probiotics. Definitely gut issues here!!

Thanks again. Any other ideas besides coconut for healthy fats given the food allergies?
    : ) Michele
    You haven't commented on the animal fat (butter, lard, etc.) and I'm wondering if you are worried about it. If so, don't be.

Whenever you cook bacon, drain the grease into a glass container and keep in the fridge. I use this for my cooking fat all the time - last night I sauteed asparagus in it. Since he can't have coconut oil, the other primal fat would be butter - I use Kerrygold, which is from grass fed, Irish cows. The other oils are not good and would not be considered primal. Have you had a chance to read Mark's book yet - he has a great run down on the oils.

Other healthy fats (not to cook in) would be avocados and meat fats (bacon, beef, etc.). If he likes and eats meat, he should be getting fats.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try ghee (clarified butter). I believe it's casein free. Lard from pastured pork is a great source of vitamin d and is very heat stable. Olive oil is not a good oil to cook with at high temperatures. Saturated fats, such as ghee, tallow and lard would be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast