Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol page 2

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not really the carbs in alcohol that makes you fat, it's the alcohol. For reasons listed above. Also, it's pretty high-calorie: 7 calories a gram, beaten only by fat (9 calories per gram).

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinkBlu View Post
    Aw.....what about Jagermister ?? :-p

LOL.

bart is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Hm... Does that mean one could actually live off only alcohol, assuming you were drinking frequently enough and supplementing the required vitamins and minerals to avoid deficiencies (i.e. no need to eat)? Disregarding the obvious disadvantage of being constantly drunk, of course...

Say, for example, that you drank nothing but vodka and water for a month, you would not starve to death?
    check this out!!! Man in Iowa drinks Beer for Lent. Here's an excerpt from his blog:

"Working to nourish their bodies through during the lengthy 46-day fast during Lent, the Paulaner monks of Neudeck ob der Au in Munich are credited with developing the doppelbock style of beer. Packed with carbohydrates, calories and vitamins, this unfiltered “liquid bread” sustained the monks from Ash Wednesday to Easter, and over 300 years later, the rich history and quality of this beer is well-known throughout the world.

With this in mind, I am embarking on a project to fast on doppelbock for the same 46-day stretch that the storied German monks once endured—and live to tell the tale. This will be no small undertaking. I will be working with both a doctor and a spiritual advisor as I attempt to tell the story of this facet of the monks’ livelihood. Eventually, there will be a book."

Diary of a Part-time Monk

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    For those of us that are following a VLC approach as we lose weight, what are you're thoughts on Alcohol while still in Ketosis?

As in I know Alcohol has a large effect on acidity, liver function, and is used first - in fact some alcoholics may appear to be fasting if tested my a professional.

Courage2Change is offline Junior Member
    Carbs or not - alcohol is still really bad for the liver which is responsible for detoxification and metabolization. We can't live with out a LIVEr. Check out the chemistry here: DrEddyClinic.com - Integrative Medicine Forum • View topic - How the Liver Breaks Down Alcohol

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Hm... Does that mean one could actually live off only alcohol, assuming you were drinking frequently enough and supplementing the required vitamins and minerals to avoid deficiencies (i.e. no need to eat)? Disregarding the obvious disadvantage of being constantly drunk, of course...

Say, for example, that you drank nothing but vodka and water for a month, you would not starve to death?
    Hmm, that sounds like a great plan! 2000 calories per day of vodka, unlimited water, and a daily multi. We'll also allow for unlimited black coffee and aspirin.

Let us know how it goes, you might have the answer to the 'next wave' of paleo! It is one solution to those annoying "liver issues" - just kill the damn thing off. - actually, destroying your liver might help one to lose weight, too - that's a big old organ.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I know that for me, eliminating alcohol is required to drop fat. Even drinking a couple of glasses twice a week is enough to halt any progress.

I'm giving my liver/metabolism 7 weeks alcohol free and so far I can already see a difference.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

It will still take a bit more than a month to starve together.
    My guess is that vodka doesn't have any amino acids nor fat.
    Are there any alcoholic drinks with fat? Good heavy beers might provide some aminos but don't know how to get the fats from alcoholic drinks....

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    I know that for me, eliminating alcohol is required to drop fat. Even drinking a couple of glasses twice a week is enough to halt any progress.
    I'm giving my liver/metabolism 7 weeks alcohol free and so far I can already see a difference.
    I'm finding the same thing. I'm doing much better having traded in my occasional evening glass of wine for a kombucha. And, I think you're right. It is not so much about the extra carbs/calories in alcohol as it is about making your liver work overtime to process it out thereby taking the liver's time and effort away from metabolizing other food.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    It will still take a bit more than a month to starve together.
    My guess is that vodka doesn't have any amino acids nor fat.
    Are there any alcoholic drinks with fat? Good heavy beers might provide some aminos but don't know how to get the fats from alcoholic drinks....
    I made bacon vodka... it must have had some fat.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast