Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Hygiene Products? page 2

madMUHHH Guest

Shop Now

I'd be especially interested in what things you people use as toothpaste. I just use some conventional store-bought toothpaste, but to be honest, I'm not really trustung that stuff.

SoCaliman Guest

Shaving tip for guys: Take a hot shower, and then try shaving without any shave cream or gel. I have a fairly rugged stubble and it comes off easy as peach fuzz. I just have to pay closer attention to not miss spots. The less chemicals I put on my mug, the better as far as I see it. Try it, you will be surprised. Going Gork, but he probably would've used a sharp rock or giant bug shell.

Noturningback is offline Junior Member

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil as well as Grapeseed Oil scented with an essential oil of your choosing works nicely on my skin. I also like Aveda products.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

MadMUHHH: check out my link above.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Daughter of Grok Guest

MADMUUH- I just pour some baking soda on my hand, add a few drops of water until it develops a paste-like consistency, wipe my brush on it and scrub away. Baking soda neutralizes all acids, bases, bacteria, and odor.

marci Guest

So glad to see this topic, I am a product junkie. I use Pratima Ayurvedic products for my face, Dr Bronner on the bod & Korres shampoos. I try to find chemical free/ paraben free products to use only. Even Sephora carries alot of green stuff now. For makeup I use Jane Iredale, Josie Maran & Korres. Not that you fellas care

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

With skin that reacts to *everything*, I've moved up the price scale to settle on Aveda for hair stuff (organic, into recycling etc; also if you can bear to fork out for the biiig bottles it doesn't work out too bad).

Using up "Naked" brand shower stuff from Boots (I'm in the UK by the way) but not too impressed so may nab some aveda samples there.

Deo - mitchum, although think I'm becoming allergic

Lotion - palmers cocoa butter, although I've just read label - eek! Can you get pure cocoa butter anywhere? Perhaps it is too pricey though. I'm certainly going to give coconut oil a go.

Make up etc is the usual chemical-laden junk. I was using just minerals but wanted facial sunscreen protection (ageing vs Vit D - more worried about ageing / damage whilst I'm just starting out)

Dr haushcka (sp?) skincare is organic etc but didn't agree with me.

maranne is offline Senior Member

@northernmonkey

Have you tried WELEDA deodorants? They are usually great!

I use onje by Neal's Yard which comes in a spray bottle,really lovely stuff!

There is a brilliant online company in the Uk which does very natural and fairtrade products

www.akamuti.co.uk.

I can highly recommend them.

M x

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Cheap stuff from the grocery/drug store. Anything that might be bad in any of them is so far down the list of things to worry about, I don't. I have FAR more important concerns.

True, if you can avoid a plastic bottle or giving profits to Giant Personal Care Products Company, great. Again, not my biggest concerns.

One symptom of extremism of any type is an inability to think proportionally. What is more important, and what is less. I think not eating grains is important because it really impacts my weight and general health. I think not using shaving cream is insignificant.

BTW, the least impactful method of shaving is probably electric. A good shaver will last for years with the occasional foil replacement. When I blade shave in the shower, I just use the bar of soap to assist. Remember, that's where shaving cream came from, grandpa's shaving cup and brush. Soap.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@maranne, ooo thank you, will be having a go with akamuti's black soap and cocoa butter soon!

@onthebayou, yes diet and exercise are the main priorities, and I *hate* when some people (nobody here!) look down on you for using bog standard laundry powder instead of soap nuts and river water etc... however in my case I'm becoming more and more sensitive so it makes sense for me to simplify everything I use, not just food.

Wish it didn't cost me a fortune in experimental products though...!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast