Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnivore here who'd like to like salad..how? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Question Carnivore here who'd like to like salad..how?

Primal Fuel
    Vegetables don't ever cross these lips, literally. Until today I've never eaten a salad in my life. I went to the store and bought a few things:

Lettuce/Cabbage/Carrot Mix - it's OK, tastes like nothing really.

Avacado (Hass) - the texture freaks me out a bit, and I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the..."earthiness" of it, but it's tolerable.

Broccoli florets - very little taste in my opinion.

White mushrooms - little flavor, not terrible.

Brown mushrooms - a little more flavor, but not too terrible.

Tomato - much more bitter than I expected. Not a big fan.

Red Pepper - Sour, my least favorite purchase.

First of all, I don't understand how anyone can "like" salad. It tastes mostly of nothing and the tastes I can recognize aren't pleasant.

How do I make these salads more tolerable? I need like a really savory, meaty dressing or something. I don't know.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Well, there's always meat+salad combos -- that might be your best bet. Like not just the dressing, I mean salad with actual meat on top.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Try a taco salad, which should have flavors you're are familiar with.

Or a warm bacon dressing, with plenty of actual bacon.

Or a real caesar salad dressing made with walnut oil or bacon grease.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try shopping at a farmer's market. Fresh, local and organic have it hands-down over supermarket veggies...the tastes are amazing!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    butter

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    Vegetables don't ever cross these lips, literally. Until today I've never eaten a salad in my life. I went to the store and bought a few things:

Lettuce/Cabbage/Carrot Mix - it's OK, tastes like nothing really.

Avacado (Hass) - the texture freaks me out a bit, and I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the..."earthiness" of it, but it's tolerable.

Broccoli florets - very little taste in my opinion.

White mushrooms - little flavor, not terrible.

Brown mushrooms - a little more flavor, but not too terrible.

Tomato - much more bitter than I expected. Not a big fan.

Red Pepper - Sour, my least favorite purchase.

First of all, I don't understand how anyone can "like" salad. It tastes mostly of nothing and the tastes I can recognize aren't pleasant.

How do I make these salads more tolerable? I need like a really savory, meaty dressing or something. I don't know.
    Ok. For starters this is probably the worst time of year to try to develop a taste for veggies if you don't already like them! Just about every thing is out of season and not as tasty as in the summer.

Anything premixed like you lettuce/cabbage/carrot mix is more likely to be blah. Buy whole fresh veggies and cut them up your self.
    Avocado - Ok, the texture and flavor are both VERY variable. If it is under ripe it will be hard and almost gritty and have very little flavor, although they are ok if you cook them! When you find one that is perfectly ripe, all green inside and perfectly smooth and sweet? Oh heaven on earth. If you wait a day or two too long before you eat it? Meh. They can sometimes still taste good sometimes not so good.
    Broccoli tends to be a slightly bitter flavor (flowers) and sweetish but very mild (stems) Organic can make a HUGE difference for broccoli.
    White mushrooms - Yes. When raw there isn't a lot of flavor. Cooked they have a very pronounced (and tasty!) flavor. Also they take up marinades REALLY well. Plus they are a nice source of protein too!
    Brown mushrooms - similar to above
    Tomato - Nearly impossible to find really good tomatoes at the store i any season but especially right now. Again when in season and ripe they are very sweet. Right now they tend to be pretty bland. Roma tomatoes are almost always better then the big slicer tomatoes but if you want to try a real tomato find a home grown one or visit a farmers market. Preferably in the summer!
    Red pepper - I find red peppers to be sweet. Maybe you got a bad one? Or maybe you just don't like them! Try greens, yellows and oranges too. same plant but different ripenesses and it does change the flavor.

I LOVE salads. The flavors are very different then the flavors you are used to as a meativore but once you find good ones? MMM. The trick I find to really awesome salads is lots of different ingredients (although I also just like salad with 2 or 3 ingredients some days). A few grapes or apple pieces make a nice sweet contrast, go ahead and cook up some meat and throw that on there too. I like hamburger salad (think burger without the bun, add extra veggies, chop up the burger, dress with your favorite burger dressing!), salmon or tuna on salad, hardboiled egg on salad, steak or chicken on salad..... and so on.

Also try a few different dressings. Dressing make a big difference. I can't say I'm a huge fan of a bowl of plain lettuce!

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    how do you not like salads?! geesh, you just have to get used to it. I would much rather eat salads all day than meat all day ... i feel like i have a lot more energy after eating a nice salad sprinkled with avocado, cranberries, apricots, ham, and tomatoes.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Try a taco salad, which should have flavors you're are familiar with.

Or a warm bacon dressing, with plenty of actual bacon.

Or a real caesar salad dressing made with walnut oil or bacon grease.
    Will be trying this newfangled bacon dressing ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Ok. For starters this is probably the worst time of year to try to develop a taste for veggies if you don't already like them! Just about every thing is out of season and not as tasty as in the summer.

Anything premixed like you lettuce/cabbage/carrot mix is more likely to be blah. Buy whole fresh veggies and cut them up your self.
    Avocado - Ok, the texture and flavor are both VERY variable. If it is under ripe it will be hard and almost gritty and have very little flavor, although they are ok if you cook them! When you find one that is perfectly ripe, all green inside and perfectly smooth and sweet? Oh heaven on earth. If you wait a day or two too long before you eat it? Meh. They can sometimes still taste good sometimes not so good.
    Broccoli tends to be a slightly bitter flavor (flowers) and sweetish but very mild (stems) Organic can make a HUGE difference for broccoli.
    White mushrooms - Yes. When raw there isn't a lot of flavor. Cooked they have a very pronounced (and tasty!) flavor. Also they take up marinades REALLY well. Plus they are a nice source of protein too!
    Brown mushrooms - similar to above
    Tomato - Nearly impossible to find really good tomatoes at the store i any season but especially right now. Again when in season and ripe they are very sweet. Right now they tend to be pretty bland. Roma tomatoes are almost always better then the big slicer tomatoes but if you want to try a real tomato find a home grown one or visit a farmers market. Preferably in the summer!
    Red pepper - I find red peppers to be sweet. Maybe you got a bad one? Or maybe you just don't like them! Try greens, yellows and oranges too. same plant but different ripenesses and it does change the flavor.

I LOVE salads. The flavors are very different then the flavors you are used to as a meativore but once you find good ones? MMM. The trick I find to really awesome salads is lots of different ingredients (although I also just like salad with 2 or 3 ingredients some days). A few grapes or apple pieces make a nice sweet contrast, go ahead and cook up some meat and throw that on there too. I like hamburger salad (think burger without the bun, add extra veggies, chop up the burger, dress with your favorite burger dressing!), salmon or tuna on salad, hardboiled egg on salad, steak or chicken on salad..... and so on.

Also try a few different dressings. Dressing make a big difference. I can't say I'm a huge fan of a bowl of plain lettuce!
    Thanks a lot for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    how do you not like salads?! geesh, you just have to get used to it. I would much rather eat salads all day than meat all day ... i feel like i have a lot more energy after eating a nice salad sprinkled with avocado, cranberries, apricots, ham, and tomatoes.
    I don't know, how do you not like eating meat all day? I think 95% of vege's taste like nothing at all or repulsive, to each their own.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    meat salads. lately i've taken to buying a free-range chicken, oven roasting it then taking all the meat off of it - enough meat for 5-6 salads easy.

Then it can be as simple as lettuce and the chicken + dressing.

I loooove - lettuce, apple slices, dried cranberries and chicken with a vinaigrette dressing. simply awesome.

make sure to make your own salad dressings too, or buy the (very rare) salad dressing that's made with EVOO and has no added sugar. Making a salad dressing is super easy. Can be as simple as 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 3/8 cup EVOO, salt and pepper.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cemdev View Post
    Making a salad dressing is super easy. Can be as simple as 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 3/8 cup EVOO, salt and pepper.
    Add some garlic powder, too -- mm, dressing heaven! (and the garlic combo would go well with any added meat.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast