Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Diet and Seasonal Allergies page

EvolutionaryPsychologist is offline Junior Member

Primal Diet and Seasonal Allergies

Primal Fuel
    can eating a paleolithic diet help with seasonal allergies caused by grass and tree pollens?

I've heard two lines of thinking on this...

1)Maybe it can help, but seasonal allergies are caused by LIVING in an area where you are not adapted to.

2)Yes, it can because allergies are caused by some sort of autoimmune disorder that eating a primal diet can help with.

Now, when I was living in Virginia I had terrible seasonal allergies, took immunity shots and the whole shabang..recently though I live by the beach on the west coast and don't suffer allergies at all. I've also been eating a more whole foods based diet...so no way for me to disentangle what is actually the cause of why i no longer experience a constant running nose/ sore throat.

Anyone here have an experience with primal diet and seasonal allergies..

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Oral tolerance/immunity; when you ingest foods, you are exposing your body to foreign antigens and allowing your body's defenses to accept it as normal (or self, therefore, won't attack). By eating local, whole foods, you are indirectly exposing yourself to the pollens and other stuff, building up a tolerance and decreasing reactions.

Or you might be allergic to something that is present in Virginia but not the West coast, whichever.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I never got seasonal allergies until I had a child - I think some sort of fundamental shift in my body made me more prone? They're nowhere near bad enough to even whine a little about though. I live on the West Coast but grew up inland in the north.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have had seasonal allergies most of my life. It got worse when I was in high school and college. I used to have the longest duration cold virus which would last for months. But after paleo I haven't been sick at all. My seasonal allergies are no longer there. I think my main issue was that I had serious gluten sensitivity and dairy issues. My two main area of concern are a thing of the past now, no more allergies and no more IBS.

My previous diet consisted of a lot of whole wheat, oatmeal and lowfat milk. Eliminating glutens and dairy has been a life saver.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I had seasonal allergies for 15 years and took Clarity, Zyrtec, Flonase or Rhinocort on a daily basis. I got the primal leap kit and within 3 days I stopped my meds. Now it has been almost 90 days and I am allergy free. It's the main reason I don't even cheat. When I used to watch my diet for cosmetic reasons onus, the motivation only goes so far. When you see noticeable health benefits, it makes it way easier joystick with.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hasn't helped me any, in fact my hayfever is worse this year than I remember it being for the past few years..

I'm having to take 2 'one a day' pills, one in the morning and one in the evening, otherwise my eyes are to itchy to sleep and I wake up with a nose full of clotted blood and snot.

sf40 is offline Senior Member
    I've lived on the west coast, within 10 miles or so of the ocean, my entire life. Began getting seasonal allergies 20+ years ago. Popped pills constantly. Last February, a new doctor recommended using a neti pot and I haven't popped a pill since. Also used to get sick a lot and it lasted forever. Haven't been sick since February. Not sure if it's due to the neti pot or eating mostly primal since August.

Hubby, on the other hand, who rarely had allergies and rarely got sick, has had cold/allergy symptoms since early October. He is eating less primal than me, but has definitely cut his consumption of grains. Not sure what's going on with him, though it seems his symptoms may finally be improving. Perhaps a long, drawn-out "carb cold"?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    No seasonal allergy symptoms after dosing with Vitamin D to sufficiency.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I used to have very bad allergies. Then I moved halfway across the country. They disappeared.

Gordo

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sf40 View Post
    I've lived on the west coast, within 10 miles or so of the ocean, my entire life. Began getting seasonal allergies 20+ years ago. Popped pills constantly. Last February, a new doctor recommended using a neti pot and I haven't popped a pill since. Also used to get sick a lot and it lasted forever. Haven't been sick since February. Not sure if it's due to the neti pot or eating mostly primal since August.

Hubby, on the other hand, who rarely had allergies and rarely got sick, has had cold/allergy symptoms since early October. He is eating less primal than me, but has definitely cut his consumption of grains. Not sure what's going on with him, though it seems his symptoms may finally be improving. Perhaps a long, drawn-out "carb cold"?
    Neti pot has helped me quite a bit too. I use it twice a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast