Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Are free weights better than machines? page 10

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The author of the article is Steve Myrland who is the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Wisconsin. He has good creditials.

A paragragh right near the beginning...

"Perhaps the most persistent blunder athletes and coaches make in training to compete is regularly mistaking “strength” for “athleticism,” so let’s clear this up right away: Athleticism—the ability to express one’s physical self with optimal speed, agility, strength, balance, suppleness, stamina and grace while avoiding injury—is the goal. Strength, as you will note by re-reading the sentence, above, is a single element of the collective term: athleticism. You cannot be athletic without being strong; but you can be strong without being athletic."

I'll carry that one step further. You cannot be strong without muscle, but you can have muscles and not be strong.

I think it helps put into context what should be put into a proper training program. Based on our own activity preferences we would adjust them accordingly, however I still feel that building or maintaining muscle mass as an anti-sarcopenic function should be on the top of one's list.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Perhaps the most persistent blunder athletes and coaches make in training to compete is regularly mistaking “strength” for “athleticism,” so let’s clear this up right away: Athleticism—the ability to express one’s physical self with optimal speed, agility, strength, balance, suppleness, stamina and grace while avoiding injury—is the goal. Strength, as you will note by re-reading the sentence, above, is a single element of the collective term: athleticism. You cannot be athletic without being strong; but you can be strong without being athletic."

That's a great take-a-way there.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910