Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portion Size page

jvaldezjr is offline Junior Member

Portion Size

Shop Now
    I'm still learning about what primal foods I should eat, and the biggest problems I have are with eating eggs all the time (3 a day, scrambled or fried, etc) and how much fat I should eat (tons of walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and almonds). I cook with coconut oil and butter. What should my portion sizes be or how should I measure it? Mark's book mentions that when starting out, not to worry about it, but now I think I'm not creating a calorie deficit, and I'm just eating more than I should. How do I determine what my portion sizes should be?

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Are you losing fat? Inches? Do you have any idea how many calories you are actually eating? www.fitday.com
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are one food that that most of us (including those who don't count calories, which is the majority), either limit or avoid. I limit them to about 2-3 servings a week.

For one thing, they aren't pure fat, but also contain protein and carbs -- so if you're trying to stay very low carb (I'm not), they can boost you over the line.

Also, the O-3/O-6 ratio in nuts isn't the greatest. Too much O-6.

Finally, nuts are just so yummy that I can eat way too many of them. "Way too many" doesn't mean I'm worried about the calories, but it does mean that if I let them, they'll push out more healthful foods like meats and veggies. So, I limit them to a garnish or very occasional handful -- not a consistent part of my diet.

As for portion sizes of other foods: Most PB "beginners" can eat to satiety on protein, healthful fats, and veggies without having to worry about creating a calorie deficit. In a lot of people (though admittedly not all), it doesn't seem to matter whether they overeat on calories as long as carbs are low. Amazing, but it's all about how your body metabolizes different macronutrients. All calories are not equal, and the calories-in, calories-out theory is oversimplified.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-11-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Let your tummy be the guide! Eat meats, veggies, and fats until you aren't hungry anymore. I also eat fruits and nuts and have lost weight, but I think many people need to have a limit on those foods.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty easy to overeat nuts. I wouldn't go crazy with them b/c the calories stack up FAST but there's not a lot of bulk in the tummy for the physical feeling of "full." A handful (not cupped, piled high handful) is plenty in a day. If you want to eat unlimited nuts, then do the work to get the meat out yourself - start with the whole nut and whack it/crack it to get it open...just like Grok would have (no cheating and using a nutcracker). That's a great way to limit nut consumption because you quickly realize how much work it takes to get a sorta small reward. Grabbing handful after handful of shelled nuts out of a bag...way too easy.

When I was new to PB, I had to learn about satiety and fullness all over again (all that got screwed up thanks to CW high carb/high sugar, eating 6 meals a day because the clock said it was time to eat). Once I learned that my mouth was not a vacuum cleaner (even with "clean" primal foods) and got my metabolism sorted out so I wasn't craving carbs all the time, (and therefore falsely hungry) the portion control took care of itself naturally. But there was some weight gain and plateau of no weight loss for a time while I figured all that out. Totally worth it. This is a way of life, not a quick fix.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 12-11-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Let your tummy be the guide! Eat meats, veggies, and fats until you aren't hungry anymore.
    If I do that, I overeat every time! I am a small woman with a big appetite!

I have to limit my food.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You say you are eating a "ton" of nuts. I would go easy on those as they can really imbalance your Omega3/Omega6 ratios. Use them moderately as a snack a few times a week. Also as for eggs, I don't see them as a problem unless you have some auto-immune issues that you still can't get rid of. As a Primal eater, I don't really worry about portion size if you are eating the right foods. I basically eat until I am full.

jvaldezjr is offline Junior Member
    I'm confused then, I though nuts were what we should be eating as far as fat goes, besides using olive and coconut oils to cook/dress with.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvaldezjr View Post
    I'm confused then, I though nuts were what we should be eating as far as fat goes, besides using olive and coconut oils to cook/dress with.
    You're better off to get your fat from fatty cuts of meat, eggs, or added tallow and lard if you need it. And dairy (butter, cream) if you eat it. Nuts are good in moderation, but should not be a significant source of calories.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Here's my piece on this. Don't make an issue of calories. Do make an issue on the type of things you consume.

Don't eat to satiety. You don't feel full until you are actually overstuffed. Follow the Okinawan dictate----Hara hachi bu----eat only 80%. It means stop eating before you are full. The 80% bit, for me, is figurative. I can't measure it. I can sense when I don't need more to eat. It might take time to get used to it, but it will get easy in time.

Now, I realize that this may not be exactly what you need. It works for me but then I have no desire to loose weight. I feel good in my skin.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast