Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting big without getting fat! page 4

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    My current evolving belief is that losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is very possible if you are starting from an unfit, fat place. Once you are pretty fit, it seems much harder to do so, depending on your genetics. It seems to be much easier to gain muscle quickly though, if you are willing to gain a bit of fat at the same time. Interestingly, all of the non-diet factors that work to reduce fat also work to increase muscle (lots of sleep, low stress, eating nutritious food).
    I agree with tfarny. If you are unfit you will gain LBM while losing fat for sure. However if you are already under about 12% BF it will become increasingly difficult up to impossible depending on your genetics.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks chima! I agree that BW can only take you so far, but that can be pretty dang far!

However, if my goals were to say, squat double my bodyweight or something then I would be actively hitting the squat rack. At present, I’m very happy/pleased with my BW training and it’s still challenging to me and will continue to be for many years. I’m not a purist by any means, trust me if I had a place to move iron in I’d definitely be doing that on the regular as well. I’m sure I’ll end up either joining a cheap gym or something like that soon.

I don’t like getting into arguments over what’s best, so I’m happy it didn’t evolve into that. I don’t think any one training regimen is best. I’d be elated to move heavy plates around, something I’ve never really done because I wasn’t working out correctly, but at the same time I enjoy diversity and have BW goals that are still far from my reach.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The the original poster I would also recommend keeping your protein intake high if you're wanting to lose weight and gain muscle. Proper protein intake is a drum that I like to beat on any chance I get. (and then some)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    "Arthurb999, you do bodyweight work AND compound lifts, would you say there’s something to those that just can’t be done with bodyweight work, even weighted? Anybody else can jump in too."

They are all just means to an end imo. They each have thier own strong points which is why I train mixed... iron, bodyweight, weighted bodyweight, sandbags, resistance bands...

There are a few things I think are not replacable by bodyweight training... 2 biggest movements are the clean & press and deadlift.

On the flip side, things like ring dips, pistol squat box jumps or 100 burpees for time hit you in a way a barbell can't.

I'd say if you don't have access to barbells, make a sandbag with adjustable smaller bags (25 pound increments)... and keep in mind, 100 pounds of sand is A LOT harder than to move than a 100 pound on a barbell.

jelotr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sounds good! Think I should post them on this thread or link to the before and after thread?
    Yodiewan I would link them to the before and after thread as this will give us all something to add to.

I will probably have to link to the before and before that thread????????LOL

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    OP Read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._about_bulking

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I’m so sorry but “boob man” made me laugh uncontrollably. Great change man!

To deviate slightly from the subject; sometimes I feel like I’m not doing enough because I’m not doing the “big movements” using a barbell (OHP, deadlifts, squats, etc) I do challenging bodyweight work but still feel like I’m missing out on some magical “thing” that these lifts provide. Is there such a thing?

Arthurb999, you do bodyweight work AND compound lifts, would you say there’s something to those that just can’t be done with bodyweight work, even weighted? Anybody else can jump in too.

I’m getting real good at handstand push-ups (equivalent to overhead press?) and I don’t ever really squat heavy but I’ll do pistols through the week (so theoretically lifting 145-150lbs on one leg, but can only manage about 4 continuous reps so far) and do high-jumps, sprints, etc.
    I can’t think of a sub for deadlifts, so I don’t do any deadlift like movements but do work on front lever holds (tuck legs for now) and do feel like those work my entire upper body, but not my hams/legs much at all, it’s also not an explosive movement like a deadlift but rather an isometric hold.

I worked these lifts on my first months of primal, first with 5x5 then later with 3x5 schemes and felt awesome. Then I got really into bodyweight work and I know both can coexist but the availability of a gym is not there for me at the moment, and I really don’t want to pay a gym anymore. I know now that great strength can be achieved with nothing but a pull-up bar, if one were to be minimalist about their approach to fitness, of course.

So, the question is: Is there a superior benefit to doing the big lifts, using a barbell and plates, that can’t be gotten through other means? Preferably those answering this will have experience with both. Thank you all! And kindly forgive the sub-topic I’ve created.

On topic: Lift heavy, eat more, but eat clean = success.
    I've read that the big lifts affect your CNS more and that helps with both growth and strength increases.

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member
    Hi all, as the originator of this post, I'd like to return the discussion back to where it started (ie getting big without getting fat).

What do people think of the following scenario?

A person is eating a maintenance level of 2500cals a day. These 2500 cals, however, are mostly made up of high GI foods (ie this person eats a lot of crap: sugar, grains, etc).

The person then switches to a primal diet (ie all healthy primal foods, no grains, no sugar, etc) but maintains a caloric intake of 2500cals a day.

What would happen to this person’s weight?
    What would happen to this person’s body composition?

DS

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStew View Post
    Hi all, as the originator of this post, I'd like to return the discussion back to where it started (ie getting big without getting fat).

What do people think of the following scenario?

A person is eating a maintenance level of 2500cals a day. These 2500 cals, however, are mostly made up of high GI foods (ie this person eats a lot of crap: sugar, grains, etc).

The person then switches to a primal diet (ie all healthy primal foods, no grains, no sugar, etc) but maintains a caloric intake of 2500cals a day.

DS
    Without accounting for physical activity:
    -weight would decrease (I don't completely buy calories in vs calories out)
    -person would lean out, in the long run, for sure, even if this person is eating a lot of veg carbs.

If the person in the scenario is doing a program like SS I think the outcome would be the same as I described, though maybe they wouldn't lose weight but would start to put on muscle in the long run.

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member
    Let's add in a Mark's primal exercise program.......

DS

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Due to the metabolic advantage of eating high fat and low carb, I would think the person would lose fat and gain muscle.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234